Drive not detected in raid mode

But maybe you can find an adapter for the M.2 connector and use a SATA cable from it to your SSD, so you don't have to spend on a M.2 SSD, nor disable the RAID you have.

Hey!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not looking to buy any other hardware. Is there n way of Manjaro to detect disks in RAID mode?

Architect Installer is supposed to work on RAID, but not sure if is limited to only software Raid/faik RAID or can work on Hardware RAID as set in BIOS. You might have to test that by yourself.
Also, not sure if possible to install Manjaro in AHCI mode by disabling RAID and disconnection the HDD from that RAID, and then enebling back RAID and boot Manjaro ... Never done this sort of experiments.

Yeah, Manjaro is not able to detect my SSD when in RAID mode but I was able to install it when using AHCI mode.
When changing back to RAID mode after the installation then it fails to boot from that SSD.

Maybe some of this will help to fix the boot or prepare it prior from changing from AHCI to RAID.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID#Installation

Been on this whole day and i cant seem to find a way. If anyone has faced a similar situation then please let me know :slight_smile:

I remember hacking a Windows install from Raid mode to AHCI way back when AHCI was first introduced. I have no idea if that's still possible on newer versions of Windows, but I'm pretty sure I accomplished that on XP.

Why? What's the issue?

Unfortunately, you can't install Manjaro direct to a RAID array (neither BIOS or mdadm), and that includes Manjaro-Architect.

It can be done, though. I have a complete, fall-back Manjaro install that runs on an mdadm RAID-1 array.

@Bullet wants to install Manjaro to a single drive but the already setup raid with windows is causing issues.

Does what you said still apply? Weird that it can't see the single drive. :crazy_face:

I'm not sure (I've never used BIOS RAID aka 'fake-raid'), but I think that it provisions the entire drive(s) to be members of the array.

I don't do windows, so I'm no help there.

@Bullet:

Interested in seeing your drive setup.

Hey guys. The setup i have right now is total 6 drives.
2x 256GB SSD in RAID 0.
2x 120GB SSD in RAID 0.
1x 3TB HDD.
1x 120GB SSD (I want t install Manjaro here).
The problem is that ALL of these drives are in RAID mode. Manjaro only sees 1 drive from each of the RAID 0 setup. In the disk utility tool there are only 3 drives showing up including the thumb drive.

You need to find out how to access the mobo's RAID controller (this is NOT the same thing as changing the raid mode).

Example only: my mobo is an ASUS Prime Z370-a. To get the RAID controller, I have to do

<ctrl> + I

during mobo POST.

Yeah, for me it's ctrl + r. There i can make new arrays and delete old ones.
What can i do there to make it work?

Remember, I've never used 'fake-raid'. However, I would think that is where you would add, remove, and define what drives are to be considered as your RAID members.

Hey. Thanks for trying to help. I will add here some screenshots so you can see my problem.
Raid configuration: https://prnt.sc/nhx3kz
As you can see. I have configured the 119GB ssd as a "Volume". It should be shown in Manjaro but what I actually see is this: https://prnt.sc/nhx3sp . I have no idea on how the 2 drives from each raid is picked up but not the 119GB SSD or 3TB HDD.

Don't. You can't install Manjaro directly to a RAID array, even if the array is only one drive.

As a test, can you install and boot to the 3.0GB drive?

is there any data on your Raid ?
if so Backup !

under linux we do not use FakeRaid or Motherboard Raid , because there are Hardware Raid ,
and if something goes wrong with your motherbaord , you will need a "clone" one
( same under os x , freebsd and other systems )

after any backup , suppress them

I was hoping i can simply install Manjaro on my spare SSD and use it along side my RAID 0 configured windows system, but seems like this is not possible.
Thank you all guys for your help :slight_smile: Maybe one day Manjaro will see my RAID drives and i will try again then :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by