Drag Website-Links from Firefox to other virtual Desktops

I’ve got used to dragging stuff (Files, Website-Links, Windows, …) around to other virtual desktops by pressing Strg+Alt+Arrowkey during the drag when I was using Linux Mint with Cinnamon dektop.

On KDE this works for Files & Windows, but for Website-Links taken from Firefox the arrowkeys are instead interpreted as command to move the mousepointer (!?) and the alt modifier makes it move farther with each keypress.

This might be related to:

Website-Links taken from Chromium can be dragged to other virtual desktops without any problems.

Check the DE’s keyboard shortcut settings.

I think this must be related to firefox, since performing the exact same operation on Chromium works without any problems…

you’re not having much luck with links are you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

thinking laterally, use a folder per desktop for bookmarks (you might need to do this anyhow) and then you only need to drag the icons into one file manager window open in the correct destination folder on the same virtual desktop you have the browser open in. or, what about moving firefox to that virtual desktop and then pasting the link like I showed you earlier in the other thread?

Yes there are workaround. Still I find it strange that it doesn’t just work the same.

(where does that strange unwanted feature of moving the mouse pointer using the arrow keys come from!?)

UPDATE 2019-02-10: I’ve posted about this problem in the Mozilla support forum, maybe they can shed some light on to this:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1249732

I suggest you add which operating system and desktop environment build you are using to that firefox thread. otherwise they won’t know what they are meant to be testing for this with even if they can provide some kind of fix.

that information was added in xml form, you can see it by opening the question details block on the right side.

All it says is Linux. What I mean is add the version of KDE which that system information is missing.

e.g. Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.12.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.20-1-MANJARO
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM

from About System.

I got a reply on the Firefox support forum and they (non surprisingly) called this an O/S issue.

That inspired me to test this on my other laptop running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, and there also with Firefox 65 the arrow keys are not captured by firefox during a mouse drag operation to move the mouse.

So I guess this issue must either be related to the combination of KDE and Firefox or due to the Arch Linux Firefox package (maybe some compile option used by Arch activates this feature?)

Could somebody running Manjaro with any other desktop than KDE test wether there the arrow keys are also captured during a drag operation to move the mouse?

Please go back and do what @jonathon suggests please. KDE is not Cinnamon so make sure the key combination doesn’t get misinterpreted. There’s also the option of turning of cursor key pointer navigation too.

what? where? how?

I don’t have activated such a thing in KDE or deactivated such a thing in Cinnamon. Also I don’t observe such a feature anywhere outside of a mouse drag operation started within Firefox.

Not here?

Also not here?

the Workspace shortcut entries. Go through all of them and make sure you are using the right combination of keys for KDE and not Cinnamon. I have a mouse keys entry on my desktop but not on my laptop under mouse settings. I think it’s linked to having evdev and imwheel on the desktop but not the laptop. anyhow, you can customise shortcut key combinations or make your own as desired. Take some time to investigate them properly and you may solve the issue while doing so :wink:

I’m sorry, but I have no idea what you are hinting at. What kind of shortcut could I have miss-configured, or what kind of default shortcut might be set that makes the desktop interpret arrow-key presses as mouse movement which in turn prevents using strg+alt+arrow-key to switch virtual desktop (or any other shortcut involving arrow-keys). [and also all this limited to mouse drag operations started in Firefox…?]

Could you or anyone who read’s this try if you have this behavior too with mouse drag operations started in Firefox - and tell me if you do and which desktop you are using? Thanks a lot!

no I cannot recreate your issue :man_juggling:

Thanks for the info. Are you on KDE too, or another Manjaro variant?