Download backup from remote FTP server

Hello,
I am using Manjaro XFCE, I have a CentOS 7 Web Server (cPanel) here is situation what I want to achieve

a script that use

1. cp myfile myDestination
  2. download myfile from remote ftp myDestination to my local Manjaro laptop on daily bases whenever get new file download and remove from remote server
    I want to get this task without any human interaction because human can forget it
    I want to get backup

backup file example will be like https://i.imgur.com/qKazlEo.png

please help me I will thankful to you guys

Hi @zeeshan,

Have a look at rclone.

It has a mount function. And I suspect you’ll be able to createa live sync with inotifywait.

You can install inotify-tools from the community repository:

pamac install inotify-tools

Hope this helps!

Thank You very much for your reply, can you please guide me how I can achieve it with some steps or tutorial etc.

i will be really thankful to you

Do your own research - please

From above search …

#!/bin/bash
HOST='your.ftp.site'
USER='remoteusername'
PASSWD='remotepasswd'

ftp -n -v $HOST << EOT
ascii
user $USER $PASSWD
prompt
cd upload
ls -la
bye
EOT

You may need a little more to understand scripting

a Tutorial to do what, exactly?

There is some very good documentation on the rclone website:

And, it’s in the community repository:

$ pamac search rclone
[...]
rclone                                                                                                                                                                                                [Installed] 1.59.2-1                        community
Sync files to and from Google Drive, S3, Swift, Cloudfiles, Dropbox and Google Cloud Storage

So it can be installed using:

pamac install rclone

Then it’s easy to configure it:

rclone config

Use it:

But first

It’s important to ensure your provider is supported:

But of course, it seems you’ll use the ftp back-end.

To schedule the backups, I wrote a small script and am calling that with systemd timers.

In the “Files” section, click on “Backup” Icon.
Under “Full Backup“, Click on “Download a Full Website Backup” button.
From Dropdown menu, Select Backup destination to “Remote FTP Server“, In Email field enter your email address.

Regards,
James

Thank You very much, I have figured out everything with some research and tutorials

but i am unable to sync my remote files with my local Manjaro laptop

rclone sync support only local(source) to remote (destination) but i want to reverse it

can you help me ?

I don’t need cPanel backup as it’s already created in server, i just want to save in my system in case I have not access on server

Thanks for your reply

I gave you an almost ready to use snippet above - now it is your turn to put it to use.

you can get more info on the ftp command from inetutils package using the builtin help system

man ftp
info ftp

Or the GNU documentation

TIP: create a file ~/.netrc to avoid entering credentials in your script and omit the -n argument

machine your-ftp-server
login your-login
password your-password

Do not treat this forum and it’s members as a resource - because they are not.

Quotes from effectively using the forum to get support

The Forum is a place were community users volunteer to help other users and share knowledge, the response time is usually good, however an answer is never guaranteed and always depends of the quality of your question.

Saying that something does not work without providing output, or that you don’t want to spend time reading some documentation and only want a solution is not going to take you far, as the community volunteers are not paid workers and the forum is not to be used as a commercial support service.

I don’t think it only supports that.

I might be wrong, but the syntax is:

$ rclone <action> <source> <deestination>

Where:

• <action> is the action rclone should perform; I.e. sync, copy, check and more.
  • <source> is the source of the file/directory; I.e.: where it’s copied from.
  • <destination> is the destination of the file/directory; I.e. where it’s copied to.

I haven’t tested it yet, but from my understanding, <source> can be either the local or the remote directory. Likewise <destination>.

And there’s also the bisync action:

And the mount action:

As for the scripts, no, I don’t mind sharing, but it’ll have to wait until a bit later. And besides, you’ll learn more if you figure it out yourself. And they’re anyway just for uploading, not downloading, as you require.

did he give you some valuable advice? - or not?

leave it at that

He (and many here) have a somewhat different context to what you imply.

… and (just perhaps, maybe, possibly …)
that is good enough - to help you get to a solution

just say thank you and that’s it - why question the (presumed) motive?
It’s not productive in any case.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.