Don't start GUI after install free driver

Hi! A week ago, I installed manjaro linux(kde) on my laptop. Everything worked well and I didn’t have any problems. Yesterday I installed free video drivers. After restarting the laptop, I was unable to load the GUI, but I have access to my local account through the console. Could you help me restore access to the GUI?

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

• Rollback with timeshift
    or
  • Undo your changes using the notes you took while making them
    or
  • Undo your changes while looking into your bash history

After that Stay safe - Manjaro

I can not append inxi-command output information. Because of i can not access to internet by my laptop.

How? Did you install video-vesa with mhwd?

This modified command will redirect the command output to a file in your ~/ user folder. You can copy that file to a USB, or your phone, and then paste its content here.

sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width > ~/inxi_output.txt

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Yes. From gui application mhwd. I made the mistake, I know.

That should do it:

sudo mhwd --remove pci video-vesa
1 Like

Great!. Your suggestion helped me! Thanks a lot! :+1:

vesa is not ‘free drivers’ … its mostly an archaic ‘fallback’, but not a very good one since it just doesnt function in a lot of cases.
(you are not the first to thoughtlessly install vesa out of curiosity or assumptions, to broken gfx)

Thank you for the information.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.