Dolphin: The file or folder smb://sharename does not exist

Two different laptops with up-to-date Manjaro. One with KDE 5.24 on STABLE branch, one with KDE 5.25. Neither will browse SMB shares on my network.

Booting from my Manjaro 21.2.6 USB works normally. I am presented with an authentication dialog.

What has changed, and how do I fix?

EDIT: A user on Reddit found a fix: In System Settings–>Network Settings–>Windows Shares, add ANY text to the user and password fields and restart Dolphin. Now I get a password prompt and can view and mount shares.

2 Likes

Can you provide more information?

Did you even try entering the username/password at the prompt?

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my post. The login prompt does NOT appear on my laptops. I instead get the error I described in my post title: “The file or folder smb://sharename does not exist.”

But when I boot using an older version of Manjaro from USB, it works normally.

To rule out Dolphin / KIO, can you access the share via the mount command?

Something like,

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/smbtest

sudo mount -t cifs -o user=serveruser,uid=localuser //serveraddress/sharename /mnt/smbtest

By the way, was this a typo? :point_down:

The syntax is supposed to be smb://serveraddress/sharename

1 Like

Depending on the definition of old - samba security has been improved and the old SMBv1 is not default available - and network browsing is not available either - you need to know the location before you can connect.

Not a typo. I just left out the name of my share. I can mount the volumes from the terminal just fine using smbclient. The ONLY thing that has changed is that I updated the OS to the latest version.

The fact that it’s happening on two separate computers tells me that it’s a KDE thing and not user error. Everything works normally on a fresh install.

The older version is Qonos - 21.2.6, the last release. Updating KDE breaks the functionality.

There is only little one can do when it comes to upstream KDE.

I’m on a fully updated Stable branch. I can access every SMB share via Dolphin, smbclient, mount, and systemd-mount.

There might be something else occurring.

Are you using a hostname for the server, or an IP address?

I’m on the unstable branch fully updated and can’t find any issues either.Can you connect using smb://ipaddress in Dolphin.

A user on Reddit found a fix: In System Settings–>Network Settings–>Windows Shares, add ANY text to the user and password fields and restart Dolphin. Now I get a password prompt and can view and mount shares.

5 Likes

That points to a likely broken config file. Entering something in these fields probably reconstructs the config file properly.

I’d forgotten I do have my samba username and password in that file.I’m guessing it’s like smbpasswd as I can browse other computers.
Glad you got it working.

I’ve noticed the same issue happens fresh after installing manjaro-kde-21.3.2-220704-linux515 on virtual. Out of box, dolphin file manager fails to ask for credentials.
Entering whatever username/password in network settings allows for password prompt.
But as soon as this config is removed, it’s back to square one.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.