Doing Great. What can I do more to help?

Of course I have never understood why users new to a OS don't bother reading the Manuals and Wiki before jumping right in. but...

I myself had a bit of an issue installing Manjaro, and the embarrassing truth is I didn't even know there was a manual!

There is no mention of a manual on the download page, but also, I think my previous experiences with Linux made me kind of assume there probably wasn't one so I didn't even bother to look for one at first.

There is a manual of course - the user guide pdf in the 'more' menu (but not here?) - and it's actually really good. Please put a link to this on the download page - anyone that's downloading Manjaro is likely to need it if they're not a Linux expert so it should be in their face.

But after getting it working, I am slowly realizing that Manjaro as actually pretty incredible. The OS is super fast, super attractive and (so far) super stable. I think 'Linux on the desktop' has actually come a lot further than many people (like me) realize. Exciting times for an oldy like me!

Bye,
Mark

3 Likes

I just want to defend the newbies here, since I still consider myself to be one. As a newbie you often don't have the knowledge to ask the right questions, you might not know the terminology etc. It is hard to google something that you don't know the word for (and there might be a language barrier here as well, which makes it twice as hard sometimes!).

You might not know that there is a documentation out there somewhere. You might not know about the relation between Arch and Manjaro, so why would you look in the Arch wiki when you are using Manjaro?

And sometimes the documentation pages are so dense with technical information (about all the special cases) and impossible to understand for a newbie because of lack of knowledge of the terminology. An experienced user knows that he or she can skip this section because it doesn't relate to his or hers problem, but for a newbie, that section just adds to the confusion. Information overload!

These things comes with time, and by asking "dumb" questions and get correct (and hopefully polite) answers from people with more experience.

One of the first thing someone told me at University (a looong time ago), was "Don't be afraid to ask older student questions, they love to show off their knowledge". Be that expert, that loves to share your knowledge! The other kind of expert (the RTFM-kind) are useless to anybody but themselfs, in my opinion :slight_smile:

Please be kind to newbies, we have all been a newbie once in our life. This is what I love about the Manjaro forum, the ratio of RTFM answers is very low (at least, low compared to the Arch forum).

Anyway, that is how I look at it...

8 Likes

Newbie: Hmm..I wonder what this button does? It looks cool.

Linux oldhand: DON'T push that button, it's an emergency self-destruct device for advanced users.

Newbie: hmm.. boring oldhands, always exaggerating.

[Pushing Button]

Newbie: S**T! I did nothing, booted this morning and now Manjaro is shredding my goddamn data, thsi is plain crazy. HEEEELP!!

Linux Oldhand: Sigh...

-And so the circle goes. But to be serious, I'd think most help requests are from normal, rational human beings. I'm quite amazed how oldhands at Linux here actually have the patience to answer the SAME simple questions, OVER AND OVER again. Beats me how they do it, but thank God they actually do!

5 Likes

True, but how a person can answer RTFM over and over again, to the same simple questions, is equally impressing :grinning:

Help-request burnout. Take a well-deserved break, let someone else take the night shift for a while.

2 Likes

Perhaps distros should offer Terminology FAQs and Manuals to help out new users coming from Windows.

This really a good idea. Maybe we can take turns so we don't get burnout with help requests. And this will be really good with newbies who refused to read to FAQ(s) that provide the answers to the same damn questions that get asked over and over ad nauseam and ad infinitum.:roll_eyes::rage:

1 Like

I have a bright Idea. How about when you install Manjaro, there's a direct link to the beginners manual on the desktop, and when you go in there, you're guided to official resources on the net, like the wiki?

Oh wait..

3 Likes

Personally I think documentation and FAQ should installed by default to begin with. Along with Info and Man pages in case the new user ends up booting to the Command Line.:scream:

1 Like

try from win 7 down new users didn't need to read the manual. from win 8 forward i couldn't begin to tell you how many peeps i had to help cause the way a lousy company like microsour screwed up by removing everything from the desktop. yes win 8.1 and win 10 are good os's but navigating around right out of the gate is a joke.

@whm1974 try again. gates went to those in charge at apple and told them what they had and they refused to listen. that is when he decided to run with the idea. i'm no microsour fan cause they have had more than their share of screwups over the years, but i have no issue with how gates got windows in the first place.

1 Like

I have a better idea. At first boot post-installation, the user must read and be tested on the Manjaro Wiki prior to being allowed to run it. :wink:

7 Likes

As I recall from reading Apple history, back when Steve Jobs ran the Lisa development team and took over the Macintosh Project he made a point to to use Xerox's novel GUI and WIMP concepts for both systems.

Of course Unix neckbeards and users sneered at at the Mac referring to the system as a "Toy Computer".

1 Like

Well isn't it?

2 Likes

no it isn't, but it is WAY over priced.

Well since I started out with 8-bit PCs that only had 64K of memory at most and no hard drive to speak of, and if you were lucky you'll have a floppy drive or two instead of cassette tapes. And of course some form of BASIC. Sometimes Forth and Pascal.

3 Likes

Yes it is, an overpriced one, but still a toy.:toilet:

2 Likes

I have to disagree, pre win 10 you had no auto driver installer or easy restore functions afaik.
Getting software is much harder since there is no usable repo, tons of other reasons.

IMO learning from scratch, Win is much harder than a good linux distro and more work to maintain.

Its just that insecure whiny FUD spreaders who "find themselves reborn" in "linux", scream the loudest online.
I am 100% sure that from the countless relatives and family members whose windows PC I "repaired" none is actively whining online in some forums.

Not that I don't think you have a valid point, but I just imagine the kind of person who boots directly into the command line probably doesn't need new user documentation and the wiki/manual built in. I just don't see brand new users taking that route.

1 Like

one of windose biggest problems was it installing drivers automatically if you didn't deselect them during updates. up till 8.1 they had a habit of pushing drivers that would break the system.

I don't recall breaking Win8 by updating drivers. Of course I always updated the video card by going straight to Nvidia's website and downloading the latest drivers from there instead of using what Microsoft provided.

Granted I only use Win8 for almost 2 and half years before Linux was capable of streaming video from Amazon Prime and Netflix. As well as Valve supporting Linux allowing our operating system as a viable gaming platform.

Hey what ever happen to SteamOS and the Steam Machines by the way?

Forum kindly sponsored by