Does Manjaro planning to change full to pipewire?

I found that you are trying to replace pipewire-media-session to Wireplumber. Also there seems some issues on audio, especially bluetooth earphones, maybe relating to pulseaudio. Also pipewire has more options than pulseaudio. Does Manjaro planning to change full to pipewire?

With Wireplumber 0.4.10 we depreciated pipewire-media-session, as upstream stopped developing it. Here the note from Arch. UPDATE: The change was reversed for now.

related: Pipewire as default in Manjaro in the near future? - #7 by mynewlaptop

1 Like

From what i can tell, the latest ISO and installs all use pipewire, but due to pipewire-media-session vs wireplumber (that in some cases created issues and from what i gathered has a small regression right now) and the way things got packaged upstream, both pulseaudio and pipewire servers run, and in some cases people need to install manjaro-pipewire manually…

5 Likes

My suggestion is to leave it Pulse Audio and not switch to Pipewire. From what I’m seeing in another distro Pipewire is not ready for prime-time yet.

3 Likes

For now I see zero reason to change. Sometimes PW works better than PA and sometimes it’s vice versa. I’d prefer to keep it as is until PW is stabilized.

PipeWire can be easily installed if demanded.

10 Likes

I’ve been using PipeWire on Arch for some time, and wireplumber since last week, and can only say that it runs excellently (KDE Plasma 5.25).

I had installed Garuda and out of the gate with only doing the updates, installing from the setup assistant, setting up my browsers every time I set the browser volume where I wanted it after restarting the browser the volume would be all the way up again regardless of which browser. I finally installed Pulse and it’s components and after a restart and testing the browsers their volume stayed where I put it. Now to be fair it may just be something about my particular hardware and PipeWire, cause I haven’t seen anything about others having the issue.

But I have yet to be able to uninstall pipewire and go back to pulseaudio…without reinitializing.

R

Better that than having to now allow the removal of ton of packages that have no business being tied to PipeWire cause the Devs for the OS decided they don’t want the enduser replacing it. See my previous post.

OK, I have always set the master volume to 100% in the software. It is only controlled afterwards on the hardware (DAC). Maybe it’s because everything works fine for me.

I have a similar setup. Pretty much everything at 100% at software level, and control is via headphone DAC/AMP hardware.
Although, I do have some applications at 90% or so, and they do stick for me.
My USB microphone is at like 79%, set via alsamixer, and that setting is being respect at all times.

I’m all for going all-in on pipewire. In my experience it works better than Pulseaudio in almost all cases.

4 Likes

I will only take a closer look at Manjaro again when PipeWire is installed by default. I will not do a manual changeover anymore.

1 Like

pipewire seems to do funky things indeed. I’ve got two stereo recording channels merged into one and recording stopped working entirely on my usb DAC.

Here in Manjaro I’m not having any issues with the default files pipewire and pipewire-media-session unlike in Garuda. First it started out with the volume for my browsers not staying where I put it, then it went to the sound disappearing and having to flip between Analog Surround 2.1 and Analog Stereo to get the sound back. I’d have to do that every few minutes. Then when I decided after another fresh install of Garuda to remove pipewire and it’s components and install pulse that removing pipewire would remove a ton of programs that have nothing to do with it including some Plasma apps. Not the first time they’ve ties programs together that have no business being tied together.

Now as for volume I set it to the 150%, have my speakers set to a position that never gets changed, and then adjust volume program by program.

Doesn’t that risk clipping?

No it does not.

There are good reasons to move to Pipewire - but there are more important reasons why it shouldn’t be done yet…

I lost count of the times someone says ‘it works perfectly’ - then finding out that my experience is way different to theirs, and it can be a real pig to undo some stuff - so until there’s less talk of the problems than there is of the benefits, I’ll stick with the default Mangy KDE setup.

The same goes for Wayland - I tested it, and it looks nice, but I use so many mouse gestures… and attempts to port ‘easystroke’ are dead in the water, and all the talk seems to be more on the lines of laptop users and touchpad gestures.

So for now, it’s Pulse and Xorg. Don’t move on until they’re fixed… anyone why wants to move on can find it in the repos.

4 Likes

I use Pipewire because of easyeffects. the pulseeffects app is not updated anymore.

I think Pipewire looks really promising and that in a little while, it should replace Pulseaudio. But right now I prefer my current with Pulseaudio, Jack2, Ardour (6.9) and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

I’m defaulting to 48k sample rate now, but several of my older sessions still in progress are in 44.1k. Swtching between these is very easy using Qjackctl or Cadence, while it It seems that Pipewire requires me to tweak config files.

Also, since the 2i4 has 4 outputs, Pipewire defaults to playing sound from Firefox etc “quadrophonic”, outputting 4 channels, and I miss the “Stereo duplex” option from Qjackctl / Cadence.

1 Like

Don’t use pipewire-media-session, it’s quasi-reprecated. Use wireplumber.

I think Arch either dropped pipewire-media-session entirely or is planning to do so soon.