Does Manjaro ever use TPM?

This is more of a curiosity though one I had for some time. I have a modern motherboard as of the past years, it supports TMP 2.0. I know everyone’s been talking about how Windows 11 (a monstrosity I’m grateful I don’t need to touch) requires it and won’t even support machines without that.

For Linux and Manjaro in our case, I was curious if TMP has any use. Are there any system functions that make use of this system for added security? Does GRUB use it when booting by default, if the module is detected upon installing? Any kernel / systemd modules or other common processes?

By default, TPM is not used (but is available natively in Linux). You can use it for securing your boot, SSH keys, encrypted drives and more. See Trusted Platform Module - ArchWiki

4 Likes

See this excellent tutorial on the use of TPM to boot as one example of a use case:

1 Like

Im so glad there is no (default) active TPM support going on… because you lost your control and have to blindy trust Microsoft (Pluto) and/or the CPU/Mainboard Vendor and if the company gets invaded by hackers, your security and files are gone when you use your Passwords somewhere else.

I think there is no need to talk about the GAG order in the usa.

TPM/Pluto is the new PC cancer…

1 Like

I’d definitely only want it for optional things myself, and to know when it’s being used. Figured it can have uses as a secondary system for special security still, like creating zip archives that can only be decrypted on the computer you wrote them from yet you can keep them on an USB stick.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.