Does Manjaro ever reboots on its own for any reason?

I’ve had it with windows 10. It keeps rebooting on its own after doing an update, even though I made sure to disable everything I can think of. Been at it for years and I just had enough of losing work because of this. What a horrible OS. I go to take a nap, come back and find my PC has rebooted because it wants to update the OS.

I want to go buy a new PC and install Linux on it and move everything to Linux. I am thinking of using Manjaro since that is what I use now on the virtual box under windows 10 and I like it.

But before doing this, I want to ask one simple question that I could not find googling.

Does Linux Manjaro suffer from same problem? Does it ever reboot on its own for any reason? ( I am not ofcourse talking about hardware problems).

I want an OS that only reboots when the user asks it. Not when the OS decides it wants to.

Can someone please confirm this is the case with Manjaro? If not, what other Linux distro does not reboot on its own?

No. There’s no reason for it (or any sane Linux distro) to “reboot on its own”. Doesn’t matter if you’ve recently installed updates. You have to reboot it yourself.

The only reason would be due to hardware failure / errors / power issues, in which you already understand this.

5 Likes

Hmmm I think this question is very tricky to answer.

One of the big issues with Windows is that it has mostly insane defaults, as well as many things which users simply cannot or aren’t allowed to ‘fix’.

With Linux, we learn to Searx our answers on internet. Something that some Windows users also understand is a good idea - and so you can set Windows to NOT automatically install updates and also NOT automatically restart after doing so.

There are many detailed guides relating to how to fix this behaviour in Windows 10 - and how to fix the ‘UpdateOrchestrator’ by simply renaming the ‘Reboot’ file to ‘Reboot.old’ and if you are having trouble with that, then I don’t see how Manjaro would fare any better, and there are many many more guides to fix papercuts in Windows 10 than there are for Linux.

Manjaro doesn’t reboot by default - but you can fix it to tell you if a reboot is required in order to update (new kernels can’t load without unloading the old ones, that means rebooting).

Overall, I’d say Manjaro is much better in this respect - though ‘rolling’ means many more updates and in essence a potentially less stable environment with old softwares being left by the wayside when maintainers get tired after ten years of free bugfixes.

The only advice here is - suck it and see! It really isn’t too expensive :wink: and it certainly would run better if you installed it separately (i.e. dual boot option) and booted it up instead of Windows.

Maybe after a while you’ll just forget, even delete Winblows.

It will take me weeks to move all my work/data to new PC, install everything I need, install Virtual box on the new PC so I can install windows 10 inside the VBox as I need some apps that do not run on Linux.

It is allot of work and time to do all this just to “see” if Linux Manjaro ever reboots on its own. That is why I wanted to ask here.

For windows 10, I tried and searched all the links that talk about this problem, and I am not the only one who have suffered from it, many have as one can see by googling. It is way too complicated in windows 10 to figure how to tell windows never to reboot on its own. When I think I finally did figured it out, and changed all the settings needed, I find later that it still rebooted on its after an update.

Short answer: No

In 22 years I have never had any Linux Distro reboot on it’s own.

The recent update of Manjaro required a reboot, because New Kernel. I was provided with the option to reboot… or not.

Sure, I understand that Linux will require a reboot after some special update. I just do not want it to reboot on its own like with windows. Not at 3 AM and not at 1 AM and not at any other time it thinks the user is “not using the OS” or they went on vacation because it is the weekend, like with that junk OS called windows 10 causing me to lose so much work.

So the answer to your question is:

No.

Linux Distros do not auto reboot.

3 Likes

Ok, I guess I don’t understand. When I put Win10 on my second SSD for gaming, I stopped it doing auto updates and also renamed a folder which prevented it from rebooting.

So first question here really is - will you buy a laptop, or will you get a box and buy your own parts?

If you buy an ATX case, then you can put in a couple of SSD drives, and have space for another two or three hard drives - making it trivial to move data, backup, restore and whatever else you fancy.

If you’re getting a laptop, then certainly ensure that you have a NAS or at least a big HDD to store data… and a box to let you take out your old computer’s HDD and plug it in at least via USB.

Sounds like you already have the experience and the answer.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.