Dockingstation 2 Displays, Thinkpad

This inxi debate should be handled in a separate thread.
@moderators could you split it…

2 Likes

Small update:
It is still not working. Rather unpleasant.

Hi, since I did that I am not able to install Programs using the package manager. Could this be related?
It is saying (in german, sorry)

Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen:

• nicht vorhandene Abhängigkeit ‘libxcrypt’ benötigt von libcups
  • nicht vorhandene Abhängigkeit ‘libxcrypt’ benötigt von mariadb-libs
  • nicht vorhandene Abhängigkeit ‘libcrypt.so=2-64’ benötigt von mariadb-libs

–>“nicht vorhandene Abhängigkeit” should translate into something like:
“non-existent dependencies”
–>“benötigt” into “required”

Also updates are not possible anymore.

Ah! That’s what you’re talking about!

Yes! Sorry! You’re right and I’m wrong!
(Well, that is: I’m redundant, you’re not!)

:grin:

I just took a wrong path somewhere when trying to fit in everything and the kitchen sink, to ensure we have a common basis to work from and post in the FAQs. I just misunderstood what you were blabbering on about! I just misunderstood you! :wink:

It’s just a copy-paste for 99% of users anyway (unless using a TTY in which case it becomes a typing exercise) :innocent:

Let me go back to my original point:

:man_shrugging:

This is where our philosophy is different. I prefer long, you prefer short; we both do that for various reasons. Your system has advantages that if you have to type, it’s typed faster; mine has the advantage that it’s more meaningful without having to remember 1-letter abbreviations¹ so I always use the long version when:

• posting here as the user reading it is not necessarily a CLI buff
  • In scripts, as scripts get written only once but get read many more times (especially if your scripts get used by operators who’re not necessarily aware of the stuff they do)

You keep on using your system if it work for you, I’ll continue using mine. I just can’t help being helpful :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

Again: different philosophies, but some command parameters have no short abbreviations for a reason and I’m not going to post the full rm command as someone might try copy-pasting it just to see what it does, but the --no-preserve-root is just one such example… :grin:

We agree! :innocent::+1:

:grin:

:Note 1: Within reason: Central Processing Unit is more descriptive than CPU, but I use CPU. It’s just the 1-letter abbreviations I’m philosophically disinclined to… :innocent:

didn’t work :frowning:

In the future, when you get output from a command in German and you just want one command to output in English use:

set LANG=C; command

If you want multiple commands in English, use:

export LANG=C
command
anothercommand
morecommands

and then just close the terminal and re-open it to go back to German…

Have a look here as this is the exact same issue you’re having:

(Auch ein :de: Benutzer und hat eine Lösung) :innocent:

P.S. My apologies about the philosophical discussion in this thread about --long and -l parameters for commands…
:blush:

1 Like

–>Thank you very much it helped me a lot since I needed a new program today.

–>I don’t mind, really. I know how it is to be an expert and it is always cool to have a discussion about it. Don’t worry. I just hope I can get my problem fixed. Would be nice.