Docker support?

raspberrypi

Hello!
I’m running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Manjaro-arm, trying to run it as a home server.

Since a few of the services I’m trying to run weren’t able to properly install, I wanted to give docker a try, but when I try to start the service:

$ systemctl start docker
Job for docker.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status docker.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
$ systemctl status docker.service
level=warning msg="Running modprobe bridge br_netfilter failed with message: modprobe: WARNING: Module bridge not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.54-2-MANJARO-ARM\nmodprobe: WARNING: Module br_netfilter not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.54-2-MANJARO-ARM\n, error: exit status 1"
level=warning msg="Running modprobe nf_nat failed with message: `modprobe: WARNING: Module nf_nat not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.54-2-MANJARO-ARM`, error: exit status 1"
level=warning msg="Running modprobe xt_conntrack failed with message: `modprobe: WARNING: Module xt_conntrack not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.54-2-MANJARO-ARM`, error: exit status 1"
Error starting daemon: Error initializing network controller: error obtaining controller instance: failed to create NAT chain DOCKER: iptables fail>
iptables v1.8.0 (legacy): can't initialize iptables table `nat': Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
(exit status 3)

It seems that I lack a few kernel modules. Does that mean that I’d have to recompile the kernel with these modules? Being quite unexperienced with cross-compiling kernels, I’m afraid that I’d rather try out raspbian then, which presumably supports docker out of the box.

Thanks in advance ^^

I’m no expert on kernels, but can you make sure you have the kernel headers installed?

A quick google also reveiled this site, I assume you tried this?

@dodgejcr Did we ever hear back from the Docker people?

Thanks for the fast response. The guide you posted is for raspberry pi 1 (ARMv6) and thus incompatible as-is for the raspberry pi 3.
The script (as far as I understand) basically installs the kernel headers needed (which I didn’t do previously, so thanks for that) and then installs docker from pacman. Both are things I did manually and the problem sadly persists. :frowning:

Ok, apparently, I installed the headers for kernel 4.14.69, but I’m running 4.14.54. But I can’t update my kernel to4.14.69 through pacman:

$ uname -r
4.14.54-2-MANJARO-ARM
$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: tzdata: local (2018e-2) is newer than core (2018e-1)
 there is nothing to do

Ah, I think I know what’s going on there.
It’s a server side problem regarding the headers. I’ll fix that when I get home today. And rebuild the kernel.

Great! Thanks a lot! :smiley:

Btw, which services are these?

In particular Firefly-III. Building it requires the library icu60, but pacman only suplies icu62. And building icu60 from the AUR failed on the raspberry pi.

I guess that’s a problem, the firefly-iii dev would have to fix (I seriously don’t know why someone would want to code in php in 2018…)

That was the first service I tried to install. But in case, another service doesn’t run as planned…

That’s an AUR package. And it has been reported out-of-date. Nothing to do, but wait until the package manager fixes it, or edit the PKGBUILD yourself for the new version.

Already tried updating the PKGBUILD, but it didn’t work. The problem stems from the composer package.
Also, the AUR package seems abandoned.

Just checked the repo. The repo does contain kernel 4.14.69 + it’s headers.
You might be on an out-of-date mirror.
Try running sudo pacman-mirrors -g && sudo pacman -Syyu

Or did you simply not reboot after updating/installing kernel and headers? :slight_smile: