Do no work steam version hitman demo (2016)

Hello, does anyone know the solutions for crashing native hitman demo (2016)? It works great on ubuntu, but crashes on manjaro without errors. Steam-runtime doesn’t work either, other games work great.(Tomb raider 2013,Mad Max,DiRT4 and etc)

The solution to which issue? Find the issue before asking for a solution.

I assume the issue is the demo crashing :grimacing:

Have you looked at the game entry on protondb? https://www.protondb.com/app/236870 there might be some solutions that might work for you.

I searched , everything I found does not work

Solutions do not work for the native version, but I know very well that the proton works, but I need a native.

Maybe this?

Startup option:

VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json %command%

Clearly, that is for nvidia.

what does vulkan api and nvidia have to do with it? I use amd r5 m330 with the amdgpu driver, and hitman uses opengl by default.

@azra_brijer

ok well just for a try… and I see this this error, when I run steam from terminal:

[1009/195956:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(170)] Running without the SUID sandbox! See https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for more information on developing with the sandbox on.
HitmanPro: crash reporter initialised with path "/home/user/.local/share/feral-interactive/HITMAN/crashes"
[1009/195956:ERROR:renderer_main.cc(212)] Running without renderer sandbox
/games/GameLibrary/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Hitman™/bin/HitmanPro: symbol lookup error: /games/GameLibrary/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Hitman™/bin/HitmanPro: undefined symbol: __libc_dlopen_mode, version GLIBC_PRIVATE
Game process removed: AppID 649780 "/home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=649780 -- /home/user/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '/games/GameLibrary/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Hitman™/HitmanPro.sh'", ProcID 21098 

After investigation I come to conclusion that this specific function “__libc_dlopen_mode” was removed from newer glibc versions, since it is clearly marked as private and only internal use.

Anything above glibc 2.33 is affected. On Manjaro we use glibc 3.36 already… Therefore I conclude on Ubuntu (20.04?) a version below 2.33 is in use. There was merge of libdl into libc, so the function have to be addressed another way on newer versions.

However this issue can only be addressed by the devs of hitman.

1 Like