Dnsmasq high CPU

I’ve searched and can’t find an answer specific to my situation. I’m repeatedly getting 100% CPU usage from dnsmasq. How do I troubleshoot this? Do I need this service? I’m using my router as a DNS server.

My system will run fine for a day or two then this happens. It happened 3 times in the last week. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Brian

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave:

Depending on what you use it for (it is a optional requirement of libvirt and networkmanager) you can stop/disable the service and check if it breaks anything.

Does your journal have anything interesting to say about the service?

systemctl status dnsmasq will show the current status and recent log messages it generated.

journalctl -u dnsmasq.service should provide the log of the service and dump everything the journal has on it to the terminal.

There might be a application specific log, this is defined in /etc/dnsmasq.conf not sure where this go’s but probably somewhere in /var/log/

dnsmasq is not enabled on a default install so you must have a specific need - at the very least you have enabled it at some point.

Unless you have a specific need you can disable

sudo systemctl disable --now dnsmasq
1 Like

Thanks! I have no need and don’t remember enabling it.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.