Display not working on 60 Hz - Frequencies not supported

I have two displays. One (main) a 120 Hz Acer connected by a DP-DVI adapter working flawlessly up to 110Hz. Second display is a 60Hz HP connected by DP.

My main display does not work at 60 Hz under Manjaro KDE with my “new” GPU RTX 2060.
Before with Vega 56 no issues. Under Windows also no issues. Problem is that sometimes (startup issues, games) default to 60 Hz and then I can’t see anything.

Tried to lookup this online but did not find anything. Would be great to give me some hints I can try or where to go. Maybe nVidia driver issue?

You need to go 60 or twice, choice is yours, not every display supports every freqency, because for that you’ll need perfect clock in it, and that’s private property.

Yes… but their 60hz monitor should be able to support a refresh rate of 60. And their 120hz monitor should be able to support a refresh rate of 120. The issue is that after they changed to a NVIDIA GPU, it no longer works. But with their AMD GPU, it worked perfectly fine.

This is the exact issue OP is asking help for…

It definitely sounds NVIDIA related, it worked fine with the AMD GPU.

Are you sure all of your drivers are installed correctly for this GPU?

I don’t have experience with NVIDIA drivers unfortunately, I avoid them like a plague due to the proprietary drivers causing issues.

But on your screenshot I can read 100Hz…

Also install nvidia driver, nvidia settings, and set frequency in nvidia settings and it’ll work.

I assume this means that for some reason, the NVIDIA driver / GPU won’t let him go past 110hz without breaking or getting a black screen. So they wouldn’t be able to provide you a screenshot of that showing 120.

This should help though.

Sorry, in linux driver, for frequency, you have to have mode. It’ll be unsuported, if numbers aren’t there to do ALL the things behind rendering, it’s not just frequency, it’s also how big segments are rendered on which frames or what those shady numbers are in mode, and without it you cannot render in unix, it could be automaticall if content of program which defines those Xorg modes was attached after writing number in a box, or if we tried to ask monitor for it’s specifics, which sometimes happen.

But if you’ve got floating monitor, tell me which one it is, because it cannot send all it’s modes and this unix doesn’t know floating mode for monitor.

You don’t want any number on screen, because then somebody can manipulate you by frequency of a screen.

Sorry but I do not understand what you’ve written.

I’ve Nvidia proprietary driver and NVIDIA X Server Settings installed and used. Doesn’t matter where I change to 60 Hz - it doesn’t work.

Should have more clarified this I guess. My DP-DVI converter works only until 110 Hz. If I do 120 Hz I do get the image displayed but distorted. That and limited GPU power is why I set on every game and OS 100 Hz.

First image is a picture made with my phone to show that 100 Hz works no problem and second image is a screen shot showing when setting to 60 Hz 1st display goes black with mentioned error message.

What makes me wonder is that on this image it shows “HDMI” though it’s connected with DP-DVI converter.
grafik

I added a 2nd gpu for some other reason and now the issue on the 1st display is gone.
Though sometimes when shutting down I get the same issue now on the 2nd display (now attached to 2nd gpu). Not really a problem for me but since I’m not sure if I will keep this dual gpu setup I found it worth mentioning.