Disk Space problem

Hello,

I just realised that the partition / is full. I have no idea what i can delete or how to fix it.

Maybe delete the cache?
Thanks

Never happened me before.

You can start by running:

sudo pacman -Sc

That will remove all the package cache except for packages you already have installed.

2 Likes

Well, for one thing, you have a really small / partition for a desktop.

That being said, what you probably want to do is clean up the pacman cache a little since you have over 4 GB of cached packages.

Try this:

sudo paccache -r
1 Like

I'd also suggest, if possible, doing an external Timeshift and Back-in-Time snapshot, then try to do an install with a bit more space.

1 Like

Thanks i did it, i have now 2 GB extra. Any other suggestion to delete ? Anything in order to avoid reinstalling the OS

i run it and it says
no candidate packages found for pruning
Maybe because i run before sudo pacman -sc ?

Can i just assign more space by taking it from the /home partition?

What's in /home ? Do you have a mounted storage drive?

1 Like

Just tv series, there is a lot of free space there.
But i have always assigned to / no more than 20 or 30gb and i was always fine

Yes, that command deletes much more so there would have been nothing left for paccache to do.

It may be possible, we would need to see the disk layout and filesystems.

Can you share the output of

sudo parted -l

EDIT nevermind, you edited your post above to show something similiar.

You should be able to shrink /dev/sda3 and expand /dev/sda2 into the created space.

Ensure you have a good backup first.

1 Like

Thanks.
Can i do that with gparted?
Right button, rezise, and so on?

Edit: Nothing else to delete? from / ? Never happened before with Ubuntu, KDE Plasma, and Mint.

Was there any benefit to having separate / and /home partitions?
With my SSD I simply automatically let the OS work in a single partition... I'd hate to have my /home filling up with too much spare space in the root partition and vice-versa.

1 Like

Because as an amateur, i watched youtube videos of how to install linux and the suggestion was to do it like that. haha

1 Like

Well then to be honest, I'd suggest something simpler. If you have another drive plugged in for storage...
I would run Timeshift, and save a snapshot to my other drive.
I would run back-in-time and do the same. I set Timeshift for daily, and back-in-time for the same.
Then I'd simply use a USB to reinstall, then restore Timeshift and restore Back-in-Time.
Then you have the whole disk for root and home together, and if it gets tight, then you shift your TV media folder to the storage drive.

But resizing will also work.

1 Like

you mean an external drive?
i didn't know about those tools but i just run it and yes it doesn't look complicated, just takes more time.
Will this also save all my settings and programs that i have downloaded? Took me a looot of time to find out how to apply file previews on Dolphin, just to give you an example.

Timeshift restores your system, not /home.
back-in-time will save your /home and all documents and settings.

I never even notice Timeshift running, I have to check my conky to see if they're working.
Snapshot-backup

1 Like
  1. As a safety measure, backup the whole content of your home directory to an external storage (your personal data and all the hidden folders/files).

2. Fire up your live USB and launch Gparted.

3. Shrink your home partition. Move it to the right so that the unallocated space will be to the left of it.

4. Extend your root partition to fill up the unallocated space.

2 Likes

Great, easy steps.
What about the settings, those won't be affected right?

If the partitioning goes well, nothing gets lost.
If you bork your partitioning, powercut or whatever, then you need to restore your backup.

Before touching partioning, Timeshift and back-in-time your system to another disk.

1 Like

No, your user settings are all in the home directory in the dot folders/files. System wide settings are under root. Expanding a partition to an unallocated space is pretty harmless. Moving data could possibly run the risk of being corrupted. That is why it is desirable to backup your home directory. You could follow @ben2talk's advice as well to make an snapshot of your system files to have everything safely guarded.

1 Like

Blkids??? Do they need updating in fstab?

Forum kindly sponsored by