Disabling installation of dedicated graphics drivers from bootloader

Hi guys,

I’ve got a Toshiba Qosmio X-70-B and some time ago, quite a while actually, it started freezing around 5 seconds after booting into windows.

As there was nothing I could do, even with startup repair, etc. I reinstalled windows, and it worked again.

The problem was, it got bluescreens as often as I get emails, and crashed with “CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED” all the time. That’s also when I noticed it was constantly using the intel graphics drivers, even in games, even though the laptop is a hybrid and has got a radeon rx 280x.

So after informing myself and noticing the pattern with the graphics problems, I came to the conclusion that the graphics chip itself had come slightly off the motherboard, and made only slight contact. In windows it was even shown as an unknown “video controller”, and everytime I tried installing the drivers the laptop just froze midway through, when it got to the “installing display drivers” part.

Now, over half a year later, and still with the same problems, I decided to install manjaro onto the laptop, in hopes that, at least it wouldn’t crash.

My problem NOW is, it freezes around 3 seconds after booting. After that the fans just turn louder, and that’s it.
So my guess is, the dedicated graphics card drivers get installed (or at least try to), but as the graphics chip itself is only slightly connected, the same problem as on windows happens, and it just freezes.

All in all I’d be happy if anybody could help me find a way to fix this problem, e.g. like the way I wrote in the title, but if anybody has a better way, be sure to tell me, as I don’t know myself what to do anymore.

Many thanks in advance!

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

You’re trying to find a software solution to a hardware problem, which rarely works.

• Please have the laptop serviced and the graphics chip soldered / glued / inserted properly.

Having said the above, if you want to use the frame buffer instead of the GPU that is possible as well, but that might be dangerous (I.E. no graphics at all) without further information, so if you still want to continue down this road, please read this:

and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies…

An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host would be the minimum required information… (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)

:innocent: