Disable auto starting xorg/xfce on login?

Hello everyone, I just installed Manjaro ARM on my rpi4 and was wondering how I would go about just launching a cli on login, rather than starting all of xfce. In doing this I want to just decrease the load the pi has, while still maintaining the ability to start xfce/xorg when I want.

I thought maybe lightdm was handling this somewhere, but could not find anything. I did this on arch with my laptop years ago with my .bash_profile and .xinitrc but can’t figure out where the relevant config files live on this new install. Any help is appreciated!

What about lightdm.service? It should be enough:

sudo systemctl disable lightdm.service

After that if you want start Xfce manually just execute: exec startxfce4

1 Like

That did it, thank you!

In addition, as mentioned in this thread, the multi-user target is the same as the graphical target, minus the display manager.

I have been trying to figure this out forever, but all of the suggestions are about the lightdm folder which I do not have ???

Take a gander at the thread I mentioned above (the OP was gdm). On a systemd-system, which Manjaro is, If you reference display-manager.service you don’t need to know if the display manager is lightdm or gdm. Your answer will most likely be in systemd/systemctl.

# Should show you what display manager was started
grep -i execstart /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

# Should show that display-manager.service is a symlink to your specific display manager
stat /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service

This might help: Change default target to boot into

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.