Directory structure question

Perhaps I should then put it in simple terms. You are used to putting stuff together by driving nails into it with a hammer. But GNU/Linux is not held together with nails; it is held together with screws. So, you’re going to have to learn how to use a screwdriver. But you’re not interested in learning how to use a screwdriver. You want to use a hammer.

Well, one could try hammering the screws in place, but it won’t have the desired result, and after a while, it’ll turn out that you’ve ruined everything because you insisted on using a hammer instead of a screwdriver.

Can you see where this is going? :wink:

Oh great. Sorry, but I didn’t get the reply notifications. Have to check my settings I guess.

But “funny” that I did find the following “by accident” as looking for information of how to automount:

I am sorry to say - bad idea.
Why?
Because the /run tree is a volatile structure created at runtime. Creating mount points in that tree will pose issues at boot time when the mounts are defined in fstab (Gnome disks creates fstab entries).
(How do I get rid of Read Only on all my partitions (even on newly formatted seperate hard drive))

So I was beeing told to use a screwdriver instead of a hammer. But no one told about the places where NOT to screw although they said you could screw wherever you want to.

There is not explicit regarding any mounts or folder structures.

As noted - you can do what ever you want - just know it may conflict with system defaults - which then recommends you stay away from /run/ and /mnt - otherwise you are free to do whatever you like.

3 Likes