I3wm/awesome wm permission issue

Dear all,

I have been using Xfce4 DE. I am trying to run i3 wm. I have installed it with pamac.

I can login to i3 and it works fine except if it does not save changes. Like, if I run Nvidia settings and change refresh rate from 60 to 120 it works until I re-log. Nvidia settings complain that I have not applied settings and saving to X configuration file says permission denied.

I have also tried to use awesome wm, but I run into same problem and if I edit config file from menu, it does not let me save, citing permission denied.

It seems that wms do not have access to system locations or have sufficient privileges, how do I run them in a way that grants it to wm?

I have looked at a few tutorials and googled but nothing useful came up.

What I am missing?

Hi and welcome to the forum!
If you want to run GUI’s that need elevated privileges, you can run those apps with pkexec, for example:
pkexec gparted

Or you can automate that by adding
exec --no-startup-id /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
to your i3 config, which is probably stored in ~/.config/i3/ since you’re not running the i3 community edition.

Hi and welcom to the forum PauliusM

Since your talking about the nvidia settings these are not loaded by default when you applied them as user.
There is no need to do so as root. All you need to do is load the config

for instance by adding the next line in your i3 config

exec --no-startup-id nvidia-settings --load-config-only

This will load the setting you applied with the Nvidia-Settings which are stored in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

Good luck

1 Like