Device dev/disk-by-uuid does not exist

I killed my encrypted swap partition (for an Encrypted manjaro KDE install) perhaps without following the proper procedure and I get the message "device dev/disk-by-uuid=xxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx does not exist" during boot and the boot process waits a very long time before it progresses and the boot finishes.

xxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx is the uuid of the deleted swap partition. It is still being searched for by the boot process. Takes a long time before the “failed” message appears .

Google suggests rebuilding the initrd.img to remove the deleted swap partition, how to do this?

I have already removed the deleted uuid from grub and updated grub and have also done mkinitcpio -P several times but the delay and error message at boot time has not gone. (Delay after encrypted root partition is opened using password by grub)

How to resolve this?

Thanks

Is it in /etc/fstab ?

1 Like

Delete or comment out the line containing that swap partition from /etc/fstab

1 Like

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

1 Like

The swap partition is usually defined in /etc/fstab but if your system is a laptop and you have configured hibernation then it is also referenced /etc/default/grub.

If you edit your default grub - the command to rebuild the config is

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

And as related to encryption - the file /etc/openswap.conf - comes inito play together with mkinitcpio.conf

1 Like

Hi cscs, yes, but it was already commented out by me , did not help

That did not help, I did it

Hi linux-aarhus, thanks. I edited openswap.conf and commented out the deleted luks swap partition.

It appears that there would be references to this deleted luks swap partition in some kind of overall reference file probably called conf.d maybe.

After commenting out the deleted luks swap partition in openswap.conf I used the command mkinitcpio. -P and rebooted but the boot process is still looking for the deleted luks swap partition and also knows the uuid.

The system is booting but due to the above it spends almost 90 seconds searching or waiting for the deleted luks swap partition.

This message keeps bugging me.

usually a disk is reference like

uuid=xxxxx

or

/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxx

Did you check thr file /etc/grub/default and remove the reference to the resume partition?

Hi linux-aarhus, yes, I removed it from GRUB.

Also commented out swap partition in openswap.conf.

I used mkinitcpio -P and the grub-mkconfig command you posted. Updated Grub as well after the above edit.

Reference to this deleted luks swap partition must be there in some other config file. For linux mint it is perhaps config.d (I found this in google search).

What else could be referencing to this deleted luks swap partition in manjaro , because the boot process keeps searching for it?

After all these above edits, during boot, first it says ‘a device or cryptodisk not found, press any key to continue’ then it says ‘device not found’ and then later lists out the uuid of the deleted luks swap partition and waits about 90 seconds and fails to mount it (since it does not exist), then boots into my root normally.

did you remove the reference to encrypt, openswap and resume from mkinitcpio.conf?

• /etc/fstab
  • /etc/default/grub
  • /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Some files loses relevance when you remove hooks from mkinitcpio.conf

• resume hook is connected to /etc/fstab and /etc/default/grub

While

• The /etc/crypttab loses relevance when removing encrypt hook
  • The /etc/openswap.conf loses relevance when removing openswap hook

After some thought - I think your issue is because you have not removed the mentioned hooks from mkinitcpio.conf - the encrypt hook is referencing crypttab which contains a refererence to the removed luks swap partition uuid.

If your system is still encrypted (I had the understanding you had removed encryption) but you have removed encrypted swap - then you need to keep the encrypt hook - only need to remove openswap and resume hook then the reference in /etc/crypttab.

2 Likes

Thanks, linux-aarhus. I removed all the hooks and references you mentioned (except the encrypt hook yes) and then commented out the deleted swap partition in crypttab.

Problem solved. No errors during boot and boot time has reduced by about 90 seconds.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.