Desktop widgets change size on reboot

hi

i know this is a known problem, i found many threads → tried many things but none could solve my issue. 2 of my desktop widgets, media control and todo list, insist (!) on changing their size when i reboot or sign off/in

i even tried to fill the whole desktop with widgets so they couldnt change size, that made them change other widgets sizes or even go under the panel

i tried to change values in the widget config files (main.qml: Plasmoid.switchHeight), i tried not using SDDM, i tried restricting rights to change the config files, etc. nothing worked!

has anyone found a solution for this? its really annoying and im kinda surprised this problem still exists and is so persistent. i remember having this when i used ubuntu about 10 years ago. back then i found i solution, but unfortunately i dont remember

not even running this in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ worked. the script is doing its job, but the outcome is the same

so what can be concluded from this is, that the problem is not related to the config file at all :man_shrugging:t4:

noone can help? :neutral_face:

i tried changing desktop layout to desktop instead of folder view → this makes all widgets reposition to the topleft corner on reboot/signoff/-in

my friend who has endeavour OS (including newer version of KDE) has the same problem, but he found a workaround: putting the widget in a floating panel makes it stay in place

Because many of us don’t understand or cannot reproduce your issue or don’t know what exactly the problem described.

Can you describe it clearly and simply? See example :point_down:

If it is a bug steps to reproduce

Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Go to ‘…’
  2. Click on ‘…’
  3. Scroll down to ‘…’
  4. See what error …

If it is a bug complete the following information:

• … Version: [e.g. 1.2.3]
  • debug log

Describe the solution you’d like

A clear and concise description of what you want to expect.

well, what more can i say? the widgets i place on my desktop change their size (and sometimes location) when i restart my pc!

im on kde 5.24.6 and im not sure which debug log youre asking for.

plasmashell.log is flooded with this:

I tried to add and resize 3 widgets at some positions of Desktop in the VM, then rebooted 3 times.
They remain correct like before and do not change.