Desktop shortcuts do not work

Hello,

Recently installed OptiFine_1.16.4 on Manjaro KDE Plasma using the bash terminal (Yakuake) and then found out that none of the shortcuts I have on my desktop worked (there was no problem if i opened them from the /home/user/Desktop/ folder) so i restarted the PC. That didn’t help and i just left it sitting there for around 10min then i tried again and to my surprise all of them worked, but after opening Yakuake the same problem occurred. Repeatedly opening and closing Yakauake did not do anything afterwards.
KDE Plasma version is 5.20.2 and everything else is up to date.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but it seems likely that it is.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Not sure how that got into #Development category … Moved to #support:3rd-party-applications

If you are referring to the in game shortcuts, please check the game settings. Quite hard to follow what is what from your description.
Yakuake has no influence on other shortcuts that are integrated with Plasma, nor does influence other software, but if is active then it will capture the keyboard input.

1 Like

I hope this clears things up a bit. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

https: //prnt. sc/virn4s

I was referring to the shortcuts on the home screen/desktop which would not work for a period of time after I ran the installer, the same problem occurs each time after reboot. (The shortcuts would just get selected like in the screenshot above but nothing happens)

https: //prnt. sc/virnte

Going to /home/user/Desktop and using the same shortcut didn’t cause this issue and just opened the program as normal.

Oh, the nomenclature from Windows shortcut … Well, those are either *.desktop files (text files actually with a special extension and the descriptions/commands/paths included), or there are symlinks or basic link to such files … We use shortcuts as shortcut word only for keyboard shortcuts :smiley:

Well, the way KDE Plasma works is the the icons on Desktop, in this case the *.desktop files require and should add automatically some details to the file in order to work. For instance, the original Atom in the Menu has this entry in

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Atom
Comment=A hackable text editor for the 21st Century
GenericName=Text Editor
Exec=env ATOM_DISABLE_SHELLING_OUT_FOR_ENVIRONMENT=false /usr/bin/atom %F
Icon=atom
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor;Development;
MimeType=text/plain;
StartupWMClass=atom

Once copied trough Dolphin on Desktop, first time you launch it should ask if you trust it, and if you click on Continue, should transform that file like this:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Atom
Comment=A hackable text editor for the 21st Century
GenericName=Text Editor
Exec=env ATOM_DISABLE_SHELLING_OUT_FOR_ENVIRONMENT=false /usr/bin/atom %F
Icon=atom
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor;Development;
MimeType=text/plain;
StartupWMClass=atom

The difference might not be obvious. nor presented as if is important, but it is … :slight_smile:

If there is a delay till the desktop files respond to your click to open those applications, then we should look elsewhere … xdg should be initialized already. If you way the apps are opened if you access them trough

then the files might not have the proper format …

1 Like

xdg is initialized

The symlinks when opened in from the Desktop directory do open the program they are supposed to, but trying to open the symlinks from the desktop itself does nothing.