Desktop destroyed

Hello, I started my laptop and see, my desktop is destroyed. I doesn’t load bg image, the windows are fixed at the corner, I can’t close windows because the program bars disappeared… I can’t click any thing cuz the mouse is just an X. Didn’t see this before. I didn’t change anything at the system and I didn’t update anything. What can I do?

Please help me. It’s urgent and I have very important data on my desktop!
Thx

Can’t post screenshot links, can’t upload. It’s so stupid sorry. So unfortunately I can’t provide pictures l.

This sounds strange if its really xfce. Could it be that you choose a different ‘Desktop Enviorment’ at your Login screen?

This sounds like a Tiling Manager (i3, Sway or Awesome). :slightly_smiling_face:

inxi -Fazy | curl -F 'file=@-' https://0x0.st

Do you still have all necessary packages installed?

pacman -Qsq xfce

Ctrl+Q should work with most applications.

You could check your drive status. If no warning shows up, your data should be fine.

Hello @Yzga and welcome :wink:

Easy and simple fix: Create a new user account.

1. Switch to another TTY: CTRL+ALT+F3
  2. Login there
  3. Run: sudo systemctl isolate rescue and type blindly the root password + ENTER
  4. Create a new user account:
useradd -m newusername
  1. Create a new password: passwd newusername and type blindly the user password + ENTER

2. Close the rescue mode:

exit
  1. Restart the display-manager:
sudo systemctl restart display-manager
  1. Login with the new username.

When it is running again normally. You can move your files from the other account.

If that does not help… I would rather think that the HDD or Filesystem is damaged.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Your topic title is not appropriate. Please edit it with something more descriptive of the problem and remove the exaggerated cry for help.

Please see:

Thx to all

Step 0 didn’t work. It doesn’t happen anything

StrG q doesn’t work.
Don’t know what’s happening here

I think my hdd is OK

Hi,
Would you please explain This command after the pipe, what it is supposed to do??
Thanks
inxi -Fazy | curl -F ‘file=@-’ https://0x0.st

1 Like

title edited