Desktop as a Service

I know this article has been online for a couple of months but it is an interesting opinion on Microsoft and the feelings surrounding the ‘renting’ of the computer desktop.

If this really is the avenue of Microsoft - I am really happy I am no longer a user of their product(s).

I think they are going down that path, there can really be no doiubt about it at this point. For business it can make sense, but I once again have the feeling that even where the bottom line is important entrusting your business to Microsoft will be too much for some companies. The security risk is too great and not just to your intellectual property but to actual physical assets. Linux is already proven in the business space and I expect this to drive user acceptance over the next decade. There will always be those who want easy google services, cloud services, Apple Inc., chromebooks, etc. and there will always be those who know that those are just marketing spam for someone elses computer. Someone else can cut you off at any time, deny you service at any time, and there is nothing you can do but sit there and take it.

I am also happy I have not used Windows on a daily basis since 2007. The only time I use it now is to either play some old games (not often), or more frequently diagnosing and fixing problems for others.

Windoze is already charging for activation keys and then they give you another reach around with this “DaaS.” Lol!

Microsoft is positioning itself to become a service company rather than a software company. Office products as a service, Azure Cloud, Desktop as service, the entire companies product lines is going that direction. Soon everything…Exchange, Sharepoint, File Servers will all be “as a service” offerings.

It’s a nightmare working in IT with Microsoft environments. The updates break things or change things that confuse the end user. The unknown of what Microsoft will change next makes budgeting and planning impossible. Microsoft doesn’t have to do anything to appease the customer though. It is not like we are taking our money and going elsewhere. As much as I’d love to run open source everywhere it’s not happening.

The only reason why I even have windows is to game so if Microsoft starts this kind of ■■■■ well… i will probably put my gaming on hold and go back to console.

At least in the near future, I don’t really see it going this way in the consumer market. For the enterprise market, certainly.

It feels to me like Microsoft is going to go the opposite direction in the consumer space. Instead of charging, they will monetize the OS by forcing increasing amounts of advertising and driving other content into the desktop.

oh not this again, its just yesterdays reheated noodles with another name… cloud computing , web-os, the cloud os, the anywhere os, amoebaOS, ChromeOS, jolicloud, carbyn, and a few others were just that. icloud (dot) com used to be a cloud desktop, before the big bad apple bought them.

i knew a company that ran a similar thing on centOS, for their worldwide employees, out of convenience.

some companies even tried to sell netbooks with a cloudOS installed, they were ment to be terminals not personal computers. most of them were bundled with a cloud account. dropbox, google drive, for increased space.

there was an obvious trend, cpu-ram-hdd were not advancing fast enough, compared to internet speeds. so lets take another aproach… move everything online, even the desktop. your games and videos are already there, photos and documents too.

i remember intel showed some processors with 50, 100 & 200 cores (that was in 2012/2013) but i dont see them inside computers today. and computer specs used to double every couple of years, so… by my calculations, we should run at least 64 cores processors at 12Ghz, 128GB of ram, 32GB GPU with 640TB hdd, with 1Gbps wireless. 2nd gen blu-rays for every pc.

sadly only internet speed keeped up with this increse. so we will access the rest via remote desktop, from high speed internet, and we will return to use our pc as a simple terminal connected to giant computer farms.

adobe is doing somethin similar, renting software, so people stop pirating photoshop (at one point it was the most pirated software on the internet)

when you will use cloud-desktop, they will be scanning what software you use, and blocking what they do not approve, recomending their version, also pillaging you personal files from the cloud, yes they delete stuff like photos, movies and literature (from private cloud accounts, most storage providers do it, including google), activation codes and rumaging through you contact lists, notes an memos, not to mention music. you will be restriced at using only authorized email services.

my question is: will this be with or without ads directly onto your desktop ? like they did in the file manager :laughing: (on windows 10, true story)

i remember when i had a windows7 starter, and i had restrictions, one was that i could not change the wallpaper :rofl: could not use more then 1GB of ram, and other small annoyances

their end game is to deliver the windows desktop on all kind of machines, hardware and OSes but also lock you in.

#hashtag_as_a_service. #pay.extra.for.more.hashtags. #you_have_insufficient_hashtags_to_hashtag_this_bs

also there was this crazy idea/movement to make the devices free and just pay for the services you use … didnt go too far!!

Neither Desktop as a Service or Software as a Service are things I will not use as I prefer and want full control over what I use.

You are right - but as new generations grow up - we have to pass on the knowledge we have, even those generations are more tech savvy - they might not be aware of the dangers.

It is something like e.g. the 2. WW Holocaust - From recent studies it is revealed that many people do not know. Not knowing makes it even easier - for some with alternate perceptions of truth to claim it did not happen.