DeskPi Pro v2 Software Install: Has anyone gotten this to work?

I just got a DeskPi Pro v2 and am trying to follow the Manjaro-specific instructions here: GitHub - DeskPi-Team/deskpi: DeskPi Pro is the Ultimate Case Kit for Raspberry Pi 4 with Full Size HDM

The script fails spectactularly after it enables the front-facing USB 2.0 ports.

DeskPi Driver Installation Start.
Configure /boot/config.txt file and enable front USB2.0
./install-manjaro.sh: line 31: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 32: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 33: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 34: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 35: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 36: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 37: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 38: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 39: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 40: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 41: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 42: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 43: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
./install-manjaro.sh: line 44: $deskpi: ambiguous redirect
chown: missing operand after ‘root:root’
Try 'chown --help' for more information.
chmod: missing operand after ‘644’
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.
Failed to enable unit: Unit file systemd-deskpiv1-safecutoffpower.service does not exist.
warning: python-pip-20.3.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) python-pip-20.3.4-1

Total Installed Size:  1.60 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                            [##############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                                          [##############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                               [##############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                                         [##############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                                       [##############################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling python-pip                                                                                                                             [##############################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
Requirement already satisfied: pyserial in /usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages (3.5)
DeskPi Driver installation successful, system will reboot in 5 seconds to take effect!

Clearly, there are errors in this script; it doesn’t work with the current version of Manjaro ARM. I’m going to file a bug report with the vendor, but I’m curious if anyone actually got this working.

Right now, I have no way of activating the fan, as far as I know.

Thanks!

File a bug Upstream then… :thinking:

If you don’t know what Upstream/Downstream is, please read that section here:

:crossed_fingers:

Going to the project for tech support is definitely the way.

I ended up coming here because, even though this hardware product is advertised for use with (and even bundled with) 8GB Raspberry Pi 4b units, and advertised for use with Manjaro ARM, the development team does not support 64-bit Manjaro.

The most complete install script is meant for Debian-based distros.

I was hoping someone else had bought this thing and figured out how to make it go.

I eventually managed to figure out how to convert the script to be Manjaro compatible, and it’s working now.

Thanks!

EDIT: I’m putting together a writeup to explain how to do this, but it’s not really in a state for mass consupmtion yet. If you’ve got one of these and need help, send me a PM. :slight_smile:

Could you post that then and then mark your own answer as the solution???

:unicorn: :rainbow: :question:

3 Likes

I’d be happy to. I’ll go ahead and mark this thread as solved, but I’m not ready to post my solution yet. The notes I used to do it are kind of scribbled across several papers on my desk, and there are a few parts I need to test to make sure I can actually explain what I did. :stuck_out_tongue:

Additionally, I’m still not sure if the fan is working the way it should, and if it’s not, whether it’s my fault. The dev is not the quickest to respond, unfortunately…

Stand by. I’ll get something useful put together. At minimum, I can do all manual fan controls without a problem, which is enough to turn it on and make sure it’ll cool a Pi being overclocked. :wink:

1 Like

I’ve removed the Solution until you do…

:bowing_man:

1 Like