[Dell XPS 15 9560] Installation won't boot issue / stuck

gnome
kde
xfce
dell

Hello,

i’ve got a Dell XPS 9560 and got some installation issues.

My Specs:
Dell XPS 9560
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

I created a bootable USB Stick and tried to boot with it. It started into the first boot screen where I can select which keytable and which driver etc. I want to use. After choosing “Installation from ISO” i’ve got some problems. I tried different Manjaro versions and while booting it stucks on different positions and I have no idea what to do:

Manjaro GNOME - driver: free
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Started User Manager for UID 1000.

Manjaro GNOME - driver: nonfree
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Started Account Service.

Manjaro XFCE- driver: free
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Reached target Graphical Interface.

Manjaro XFCE- driver: nonfree
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Reached target Graphical Interface.

Manjaro KDE - driver: free
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Started TLP system startup/shutdown.

Manjaro KDE - driver: nonfree
Problem: Boot freezes at: [OK] Started TLP system startup/shutdown.

I also tried to install ubuntu and this works with no issue. But I want to use Manjaro. Do you have any adivce how I can boot and install Manjaro? I have no idea what to try next.

Thanks a lot in advaned.

Installer stuck at Started TLP

same for me here on an ASUS N752 (Intel I7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M); tried as well to install with free and non-free drivers with the same result, i.e. frozen install !!! Tried to add the ‘nomodeset’ option but it seems to be unavailable when editing the boot options

• Did you confirm the ISOs as good?
  • How did you burn them? If Rufus, you must use the ‘DD’ option.

Yes, the ISO is fine. Installation in VMware or on another Laptop works fine. (Same USB device)

I used rufus and DD. Otherwise my Laptop didnt Boot the USB device.

OK, those are off the checklist…

It appears your 9560 is a new machine. The Linux kernel takes just a little bit to catch up, sometimes, and that may very well be your case. It may also have a bearing on the nVidia card, but I do not have one so I cannot say.

You need to look for a spin with the highest kernel version you can fine–perhaps a 4.11-rc of some type. One of the spins presently in development may have it. If I were investigating, that is what I would consider.

And one of our developers may be along shortly…

@Ste74, @Chrysostomus, @oberon, where are you guys? :smiley:

Regards

BTW, looked at your machine specs. That’s a beauty! :smiley:

The specs are very nice, that’s correct! :slight_smile:

I’m stuck on a 2.5 year old Inspiron 15, with the bezel parting from the lid. Fixing that’s the chore for next week…

same machine here, FHD

you can install with Manjaro-Architecht and select Intel when you are asked for video driver

bumblebee does not work well with this HW

anyway expect some issue
for WLAN, after install, enable the unstable repos and download kernel 4.11 for having it working (ath10k)

I deed the installation with usb (and usb-c) with rj45 adapter

Installer stuck at Started TLP

Thank you! It worked for me but there are two problems:

1. i want to use dual boot with windows 10. I installed win10 first and afterwards manjaro. I chose the 100 MB windows Reserved Partition as bootloader and installed grub. But after Installation there is no windows10 in grub. When pressing F12 (boot menu) while booting there is still the windows boot Manager. So something didnt work… any idea?

2. After booting manjaro i cannot login with my user Account. It seems that the login works but i get a blackscreen and then it switches to the login screen again.
    But with root account it works pretty well. I tried to add new users but it still dont work…

Do. you have any idea?

1. sorry, dunno, I’ve removed the Win10 ssd and replaced with a new one and deed only Manjaro installation on that disk
  2. not having that problem, you may try to install linux-acpi_call for the kernel you are using

some pages with troubleshooting:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=223056

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/hybrid_graphics

Ah Thank you.

Btw tested the normal installer as well again and tried it with Kernel Parameters:

systemd.mask=mhwd-live.service nouveau.modeset=0

The good thing is that i get to the gui installer and can start the Installation. Saidly it stuck at " running mhwdcfg operation" :unamused:

Have you already run

sudo update-grub 

?[quote=“selfmadeice, post:9, topic:22794”]
After booting manjaro i cannot login with my user Account. It seems that the login works but i get a blackscreen and then it switches to the login screen again.
But with root account it works pretty well. I tried to add new users but it still dont work…
[/quote]

This sounds like there is something wrong with the dotfiles of the user account. Possibly permissions issue. Was this installed with manjaro-architect?

You need the following kernel parameters

acpi_osi=!
acpi_osi=“Windows 2009”

Thank me later

This work for my XPS 9560! Thank you!

Hi, sorry to bother, where or how do you enter this parameters exactly?