Dell Laptop with Dell Thunderbolt dock - external monitor doesn't work

Hi folks,

I have a very new Dell Inspiron 15 7506 with Ice Lake CPU and Thunderbolt 4 port.

I also bought the Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt 3 dock and connected it to the Inspiron.

The Ethernet, USB ports and power delivery of the dock work well. The only thing I can’t get to work is my external monitor. When I connect it via HDMI or Display Port of the dock I get a window where I can choose which monitor or both together or mirrored.

But none of these choices gets the external monitor to show anything, it just stays black.

I think I have to mention that my monitor is a rather old device, a 10 year old LG that has only VGA and DVI connectors. The connection to the HDMI or Display port of the dock is established via a DVI to HDMI adapter cable.

Do you have any ideas what I can try next to solve this problem? Will maybe a new monitor be the solution?

Thanks in advance

I even don’t use external monitor so far. So no idea about this. Thank you!

A new monitor is not an bad idea but this could easily be because of an malfunction in the adapter cable. Can you check that in any way?

The DVI to HDMI adapter cable is okay. It works normal when directly connected to the laptops own hdmi port.

Oke,

Did you install the latest firmware for the dock?
perhaps this can help since there are more complains about this issue.

Thanks for the link to the dell forum. I also posted my question there.

I already updated the BIOS of the laptop as well as the firmware of the Thunderbolt dock to the newest versions. Also tried some of the hints there but still no success.
I ordered a USB-C dock today and If that is working better I’ll give up on that Thunderbolt thing.

I validated that the cable is okay and tested also with a brand new monitor.
I also tried another thunderbolt docking station from HP and a USB docking station. But still nothing changed.

I decided to keep the Dell thunderbolt docking station and connect my monitor to the builtin HDMI port of the laptop.