Dell inspiron 5482 Manjaro KDE: unstable and unusable Wi-Fi

Hi,

Technically, it connects once in a while, but is totally useless. In my Linux installation experience, Wi-Fi rarely works out of the box. This laptop lacks an Ethernet port, so I have to use a USB Ethernet adapter.

Here is my system info (installed and updated):

$ lspci | grep -i wi
00:14 .3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Cannon Point-LP CNVi [Wireless-AC] (rev 30)
$ uname -r
6.5.5-1-MANJARO
$ plasmashell --version
plasmashell 5.27.8

Search on the repositories turned up no drivers. At least on the keywords that network controller’s name could suggest. What else can I do?

My router isn’t the primary suspect, as it serves another laptop and a smartphone well.

Considering that it’s an in-kernel Wi-Fi driver, I would suggest trying a different kernel — preferably the 6.1 LTS kernel.

And by the way, this has nothing, zero, nada to do with KDE Plasma, which is a desktop environment. :wink:

1 Like

Changed to 6.1.55. It behaves just as before. I suppose it has nothing to do with KDE. Can it have anything to do with Network Manager and its settings?

I don’t think so. Software generally doesn’t work intermittently. Therefore I’m guessing it would more likely be a hardware issue. :thinking:

Mmm… What can I do to determine it one way or the other beyond a reasonable doubt?

I would suggest booting a couple of (different) live distros and seeing how it performs there. :thinking:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.