Deleted efi partition

So I booted rescatux.Deleted My windows Partitions and my Efi partition.
Can i please have assistance recreating my efi partition. I Made a 590mb Fat32 Partition, but i not familiar with how to use chroot or wether making it from a debian live iso will impact anything.

Fdisk -l:
/dev/sda1 ->my linux file system
/dev/sda2 ->585M Fat32(I dont know if it should be fat or fat32)

Trying to sudo mount
Neither can be found in etc/fstab

Edit: I have access to grub rescue If that makes Things easier…

Thanks in advance for you help.-Ahopelessnoob

If you curious why. I been using windows through Kvm and just converted it to a vhd.Thought i make space on My ssd.

Okay, this is going to be a little tricky…

First, download a recent ISO of Manjaro and “burn” it to a USB stick or to a DVD (if you have a DVD drive).

Next, boot up from that Manjaro ISO in live mode and use the Partition Manager to see whether your newly created EFI partition has the correct esp/boot flag set.

Next, open up a terminal window and issue the following command… :arrow_down:

lsblk -o +UUID

Write down or copy the UUID of the EFI partition. Now issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a
nano /etc/fstab

Create an entry for the EFI partition in the file /etc/fstab, or replace the UUID if there already is an entry for the EFI partition there ─ which there normally will be.

Save the file with Ctrl+O and exit nano with Ctrl+X.

Now issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

grub-install --recheck --no-rs-codes
update-grub

If all went well, it should be safe to cleanly reboot now. Make sure you remove the USB/DVD in time so that the machine can boot from the internal drive.

Good luck! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Thanks Very Much once again Aragorn! Fixed-up! :+1:

For the Knowledge Base (Anyone else Researching this in the future).
(My iso was on my Ventoy so that could have affected things)

I made use of KDE Partition Manager, Gparted also provides this functionality.

I edited My UUID = to the boot partition that of My SSD partition I Made, as it will most likely be your Live environments boot UUID if you Booting from USB aswell.

I had to Chroot after editing the UUID otherwise i got “grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory.” Probably because chroot needs to mount my SSD /boot/efi and Loading chroot before editing this mounts the USBs boot/efi

And Now I Back On My Main Install.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.