Deepin Manjaro waiting room

Budgie on Solus is pretty light for me.

I’m not able to check right now, but I seem to recall it as 400+ mb

[ADDED] strangely enough, Solus is now at 900+ MB upon first boot up.

Just around 2 months ago, I remember being pleasantly surprised at how my Solus install’s RAM reading was lower than my MX (XFCE) install’s 600-700 MB. Not sure what happened.

My Manjaro with Budgie clocks in at 800+ MB.

Deepin DE running in my Archdeepin install reads 650MB. Of course, you never know if there will be new issues with every update, even as they fix older problems. I think it is settling down, but multitasking view still doesn’t work.

This is of course not a very scientific comparison of DEs since they are all running on a different distro base, and in any case my distros aren’t set up exactly the same, with the exact same processes running.

However, they all do have at least one conky running, as well as variety wallpaper changer.

I watched a comparison by “Switched to Linux” between EndeavorOS & Manjaro, both using XFCE. XFCE looks soooooo much better than when I last used it on Debian!

In that comparison he mentioned the only way to install Deepin on Manjaro now is thru the online (pic your flavor) installer, there is no more community edition ISO for Deepin.

Is that more stable than keeping old community edition updated? Will that version also be plagued by China’s focus elsewhere than FOSS platform?

After watching that review I’m now leaning toward installing Manjaro XFCE. I do have some reservations about what he said about how Manjaro is “becoming more corporatized” like ubuntu. Endeavor is probably just too immature for my taste right now tho.

I posted a bug on the Deepin Github page 13 days ago (regarding sound output) and it got fixed with the yesterday update.
So even if the development feels slow, there is actually constant progress and I think at the end it will be better than the old version.

It’s getting better and better! :slightly_smiling_face:
There was another update and now most of the bugs I had are disappeared. In my case, it is now a fully functional and beautiful DE and I really love to use it.
Thanks to all of the Developers! Great Work! :+1:

2 Likes

What desktop did you start and then replacing it with dde ?

On my notebook I started with the old Manjaro Deepin Community Edition but that was two years ago before it was discontinued. I kept rolling it and adjusted some of the Deepin packages which got obsolete.
On my PC I started with Manjaro XFCE and parallel installed Deepin DE.
XFCE is lightweight and it doesn’t gets in the way of Deepin.
I also tested KDE on my PC in parallel to Deepin but that quickly became a mess.
I would start with XFCE and just install Deepin parallel without replacing XFCE. This way you would have an alternative if something goes wrong with Deepin.

1 Like

Thank you for your replay :heart_eyes:

some is cooking …

9 Likes

omg good news

1 Like

I might actually try this one. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I will try this one

8 Likes

I tried it a little and it’s damn great

I have a doubt, the deepin manjaro has zram enabled by default?

It seems to be a feature of the latest kernel. :thinking:

I am very leary of any Deepin based distro now. Sure it’s a great DE, one of the best IMHO, but will it be stable and supported?

I had reservations about it from the start related to it being created by people living under the Communist Chinese “Republic”, but the UI was so good I was willing too overlook that concern.

And I am leary of things made by Corporate “Republics” as well.
Hey did you know tht the USA has the highest prison population?
Per-capita yes … but also in sheer numbers. Literally nowhere else has larger incarcerated populace. They beat out china to the tune of a couple hundred thousand (despite having a significantly smaller population)
But not afraid of “American created”?
Please leave your politics out of the tech … unless its tech-politics … but this isnt that.

4 Likes

UOS is Chinas’s attempt to replace Windows there and so there is a lot of power behind it, including the Chinese State. UOS is developed by the Deepin team and therefore I’m absolutely certain that it will be properly maintained for a long time. (UOS is for business and institutional use and Deepin as well as Deepin DE for private use. They all have he same base code so development affects all the versions.)

2 Likes

You don’t have to lecture me about how corrupt USA gov is. In my view ALL govs have a huge track record of becoming corrupt. The ONLY legitimate purpose of gov is protection of individual rights, all else is nothing more than a criminal enterprise and is a monopoly on violence under the color of law.

NUF SAID.

1 Like

If you are worried about all governments … then why single out china?
Thats my point.

2 Likes