Pipewire-media-session issues

Hi! I’ve been using pipewire for the last 6+ months. Almost every time a resume my laptop from s2ram there simply no audio at all. I have reinstalled all pipewire packages a few times with no luck so far.

In order to reestablish the audio I’m using the following command: systemctl --user restart pipewire.service pipewire-pulse.service pipewire-media-session

I’m trying now to find the root cause, before deciding to roll back to pulse. Here are a few errors I’m having, at least today. Any idea how to troubleshoot this? which file or directory is missing? what does all these means?:

Sep 17 23:54:51 thinkpad1.localdomain systemd[1787]: Started Multimedia Service Session Manager.
Sep 17 23:54:51 thinkpad1.localdomain pipewire-media-session[402034]: can't make factory instance: No such file or directory
Sep 17 23:54:51 thinkpad1.localdomain pipewire-media-session[402034]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit
Sep 18 10:15:46 thinkpad1.localdomain pipewire-media-session[402034]: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit

inxi -A:

Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor driver: snd_rn_pci_acp3x 
           Device-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
           Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.61-1-MANJARO running: yes 
           Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.35 running: yes 

Pipewire version, updated yesterday:

pacman -Q | grep pipewire
gst-plugin-pipewire 1:0.3.35-1
manjaro-pipewire 20210425-2
pipewire 1:0.3.35-1
pipewire-alsa 1:0.3.35-1
pipewire-jack 1:0.3.35-1
pipewire-media-session 1:0.3.35-1
pipewire-pulse 1:0.3.35-1

If you want a stable experience, do exactly that! IMHO, PipeWire is not ready for a stable experience yet…

:sob:

Yep, finally switched back to pulse-audio and so far everything is working fine.

I guess I’ll retry PipeWire on this laptop in 6-12 months.

To be fair I don’t have experienced any PW issues on my other two laptops (one also running Manjaro, the other Fedora).

For the future: you should accept the solution that helped you, not the last post by yourself…

:innocent:

If you’d like to be helpful to the pipewire devs, you might wanna give them a bug report about this assuming one doesn’t already exist here: Issues · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.