deep-plasma

Deep Plasma Live USB - Installer:

Notes for this Build:

• 1.3GB ISO
  • Live Account (try before you install)
  • Easy to use CLI Installer
  • Linux Kernel: latest
  • Uses Approx 8GB of hard drive space after install
  • Works in a virtual machine and on Hardware (hardware recommended)
  • Option to create a swapfile (recommended)
  • 450MB at first boot (approx)
  • Look & Feel: Deepin with Excalibur Menu
  • deepin terminal: ctrl+alt+t
  • quake menu: keypad 0
  • screenshot: prtScn

First Boot:

Start the installer on desktop Go through the install process in order After install, Close installer & Reboot

After Reboot:

Check for errors in journal & dmesg
sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb
dmesg

Update your mirrorlist for your location

In a terminal do:
sudo pacman -Syy
then update with
sudo pacman -Syu

Install your software:

• Hardware Drivers, printers etc
  • Browser, Steam, Screen recorder, AUR Helper, yay, pamac etc
  • Configure Excalibur Menu with your Favorite Programs (right click program, add to favorites)
  • Setup your monitor & DPI fonts, power settings etc

Use like any other arch install

Added software:

• linux-headers

• deepin-movie

• deepin-system-monitor

• gwenview

• spectacle

• gnome-disk-utility

• deepin-terminal

• ttf-hannom (Fixes Chinese and Vietnamese fonts in browser)

• gparted

• networkmanager

• base-devel

• ttf-hannom

• ttf-dejavu

• terminus-font

• sddm

• deepin-file-manager

• pulseaudio-alsa

• pavucontrol

• kinfocenter

• gedit

• xdg-user-dirs

• haveged

• ark

• discover

• custom wallpapers (by antechdesigns)

• Back-End Tweaks for speed & stability

Download antechiso

Enjoy! :wink:

A guide after installing deep-plasma (archlinux)

The very First thing I do after a clean install of archlinux is check the journalctl

journalctl:
In a terminal:
journalctl -p 0 -xb the number zero is for Emergency and needs fixing, if possible
journalctl -p 1 -xb the number one is for Alert and should be fixed, if possible
journalctl -p 2 -xb the number two is for Critical and should be fixed, if possible
journalctl -p 3 -xb the number three is for Error and should be investigated for a possible fix

There are more per this but these are the important ones.

journalctl -p 4 -xb the number four will display Warnings, normally not a problem, but looking through may yield interesting info.

An internet search should get you on your way to fixing most of the problems found in the journal

Ideally you want a clean journalctl -p 3 -xb if possible.

dmesg:
Another place to look through is dmesg some errors maybe found in here that was never shown in the above, again a quick internet search should give you more info and a possible fix.

Other useful commands:

sudo systemctl --failed what services have failed, if any
systemd-analyze blame check for causing slow boot up
systemd-analyze the time it took to boot up

After going through all the above and fixing any errors / bugs etc I then move on to installing drivers etc, checking with journalctl -p 3 -xb in between installing them. Software is my next stage and then tweaking my system for optimal performance.

Another thing to do is journalctl -p 3 -xb just before you shut down after various tasks, that should give you any software bugs, if any.

This is what I do straight after installing on any system, assuming it boots, that's another subject for another day :wink:

More Info and tutorials can be found here: https://antechdesigns.000webhostapp.com/

17 Likes

nicely done. looks great :+1:

1 Like

I was just wondering, why not base it on manjaro?

i threw it on a usb to test it out but cant get xorg to load, just TTY, typical optimus laptop bs. i tried adding a xorg configuration manually but forgot i was working on a read only file system :frowning_face: i'll play some more tommorow or install vbox to test it out

edit: nm, got it booted with nouveau.modeset=0 and modesetting :partying_face:. no purple deepin theme on the live desktop :frowning_face: but wobbly windows were fun to play with and pretty damn smooth for a live desktop running on the intel igpu. i would install it and test it out but i have no room for it atm, need to do some cleaning.

@dglt

I will add the xf86-video-intelto the ISO that should fix the need for adding nouveau.modeset=0 and modesetting ?

Purple theme is just a wallpaper, found in wallpapers, still trying to figure out the best way to get a custom wallpaper the default, for live & user.

thanks for your feedback :wink:

2 Likes

@dglt

Just found a solution for default wallpaper, it will be fixed in next iso :wink:

1 Like

just downloaded and installed all good so far appears to be a good job well done you could have added a browser just a thought

1 Like

Thank you very much :wink:

I don't know what anybody's preferred browser is, I'll leave that to the end user instead of installing multiple browsers :wink:

Thanks for the feedback @rbrick49 :wink:

i noticed the same thing, because i went to go report that i got it working and post inxi info but i found neither inxi or a browser existed and i couldnt install one on the live system. even a terminal browser would be sufficient if not only for those that may need to troubleshoot an installation without needing to use a cell phone or boot into another os/distro. i get what your saying though about browsers, your damned if you do and damned if you dont.

" why did you include chromium, i want firefox :sob:"
"why did you include firefox, i wanted chromium! :sob:"
"well i want both"
"no browser, keep it minimal"

cant please everyone, but a minimal browser (not palemoon :sweat_smile:) would be ideal and less controversial

2 Likes

I checked it out on my laptop. Very slick, well done.
The only issue I had was I had a little accident and closed the installer, when I restarted it (The installer on desktop not the system) it was a different color.. bright yellow with white text. I couldn't read a thing. Restarting the installer again didn't fix it so I had to reboot back into the live environment.
Probably just one of the weird things that happen to me and computers.

Nice work! :grin:

1 Like

I just installed firefox on the live system, sudo pacman -S firefox

inxi is aur, yay/aur/pamac is not installed by default, again up to the end user, some people refuse to use the AUR. Discover is installed though and works for installing software etc...

I have some tutorials to get them installed
https://antechdesigns.000webhostapp.com/

That was all I needed.

1 Like

Thank you very much :wink:

yeah that happens :wink: best to reboot and start again so you don't forget were you where...

1 Like

I am running this on a full amd system will give you more feedback when test a bit more just message me if you want more info

1 Like
System:    Host: archplasma Kernel: 5.1.14-arch1-1-ARCH x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.1.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.16.1 
           Distro: Arch Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: X470 Taichi serial: <root required> UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: P1.10 
           date: 03/30/2018 
Battery:   Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech M720 Triathlon Multi-Device Mouse charge: 10% (should be ignored) 
           Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech K800 charge: 10% (should be ignored) status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 118433 
           Speed: 2433 MHz min/max: 2200/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2413 2: 2450 3: 2483 4: 2420 5: 2482 6: 2846 7: 2487 
           8: 2813 9: 1716 10: 1728 11: 1715 12: 1723 13: 2394 14: 2736 15: 1927 16: 2058 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] 
           vendor: ASRock Phantom Gaming X driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 2e:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: modesetting resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz 
           Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing. 
Audio:     Device-1: C-Media CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio] vendor: ASUSTeK Virtuoso 200 driver: snd_virtuoso v: kernel 
           bus ID: 29:04.0 
           Device-2: AMD Ellesmere HDMI Audio [Radeon RX 470/480 / 570/580/590] vendor: ASRock driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 2e:00.1 
           Device-3: Logitech type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo bus ID: 1-6:2 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.1.14-arch1-1-ARCH 
Network:   Device-1: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168NGW [Stone Peak] driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 27:00.0 

Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: ASRock driver: igb v: 5.6.0-k port: c000 bus ID: 2a:00.0 
           IF: enp42s0 state: down mac: 70:85:c2:80:98:63 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.11 TiB used: 6.94 GiB (0.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SA400S37240G size: 223.57 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 EVO 250GB size: 232.89 GiB 
           ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Intel model: SSDSC2BW240A4 size: 223.57 GiB 
           ID-5: /dev/sde vendor: Intel model: SSDSC2BW240A4 size: 223.57 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 232.38 GiB used: 6.94 GiB (3.0%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.5 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 41 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 931 
Info:      Processes: 330 Uptime: 29m Memory: 62.90 GiB used: 1.16 GiB (1.8%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 9.1.0 Shell: bash 
           v: 5.0.7 inxi: 3.0.34```
1 Like

I would recommend this for kde fans it is pretty slick and works well

3 Likes

Thanks @rbrick49
did you have to install any drivers etc on that system ?

Thanks again, looking good :wink:

no I didnt have to install any drivers install went very smooth considering its a arch install I only made one blue but just hit back button fixed mistake and away it went no problem good job ant

2 Likes

Just got updated to KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.2

https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.16.1-5.16.2-changelog.php

:wink:

2 Likes

I'd more likely use this if it was based on Manjaro repos instead of Arch.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark