Make the LTS kernel active permanently

I prefer to use an LTS kernel but that is for the moment not my active kernel.
I’ve already installed the LTS kernel and rebooted and did choose in GRUB the LTS kernel.
Problem is that after reboot, I have no longer the LTS as active kernel.
How do I fix it that the LTS is permanently started up?

Can you post
mhwd-kernel -li ?

Currently running: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO (linux58)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

• linux54
  • linux58

Open up /etc/default/grub and look for this line… :arrow_down:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

If it does not say saved, then make it so. Save the file and then run… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

GRUB should now remember the last kernel you booted and make that the default.

I opened /etc/default/grub.
I see this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=“Manjaro”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Well, in that case, GRUB should remember what kernel you last booted, and will boot that kernel again on the next boot if you don’t manually select another one. :man_shrugging:

P.S.: You may want to change that hidden into menu, and then run… :arrow_down:

sudo update-grub

OK, can I customize it that the LTS will be the first choice in GRUB?

If you mean “make it appear at the top of the list”, then in theory, yes, but Manjaro uses a heavily customized GRUB, and I wouldn’t advise messing with the order of the menu items.

If you mean “make the system always boot the LTS kernel”, then just select the LTS kernel on the next boot ─ you’ll have to select the “Advanced options for Manjaro Linux” option and then select the LTS, followed by hitting Enter ─ and that’s all there is to it. GRUB will remember that choice the next time you boot.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your advice Aragorn. I remember ‘not to mess the order of the menu items’ :blush:
So, I will follow that advice!

1 Like

You can also uninstall kernel 5.8 and install kernel 4.19.
And then boot kernel 5.4 as default.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.