DaVinci Resolve "No OpenCL capable GPU" - RX580

I use manjaro and an RX580 GPU. After installing Resolve, it prompted me with the msg “No OpenCL capable GPU”. I cannot use it. I have not installed any drivers, although I use a home directory that used to service PopOS, which had the same issue if that matters.

How do I solve this?

This is your best bet… but good luck. If you get it working, please post back.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DaVinci_Resolve

I think best option is to use the the rocm way. lesser troubles then opencl- amdgpu-pro for as far as I know and understand and in most cases a better performance.

You need the AUR package rocm-opencl-runtime package for it to work.

kk thx. Imma install rocm-opencl-runtime.

currently trying what @SLaItEr suggested. If it doesn’t work I’ll check the wiki and let u know.

What did not work?

I guess you have rebooted and the user is added to the video group?

video group?

also, I tried that AUR package. now when I launch it it will open the starting screen for a second and then disappear. When ranfrom the binary /opt/resolve/bin/resolve in the terrnial I get:

ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
17.0.0b.0013 Linux/Clang
Main thread starts: 08DD35C0
[0x7fb708dd35c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-12 08:21:22,433 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fb708dd35c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-12 08:21:22,433 | Loaded log config from /home/aggam/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fb708dd35c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-12 08:21:22,433 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this?

Is opencl-mesa installed?
If so you need to remove that.

Also you need opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca, opengl-amdgpu-pro-pal or rocm.
As stated the later should work.

Also if not there already also install libclc and ocl-icd

If that still does not help could you provide the output of

cat .local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt 

so i need to:

1. remove opencl-mesa
  2. install opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca
  3. install opengl-amdgpu-pro-pal
  4. make sure libclc and ocl-icd are installed

is that right?

1. remove opencl-mesa
  2. install opencl-amdgpu-pro-orca or opencl-amdgpu-pro-pal or use rocm (so 1 of the 3 not all :wink: )
  3. make sure libclc and ocl-icd are installed

Don’t forget to reboot

Will do, thx!

Ok so…
Now it closes itself on opening, and if I run In the terminal I get:

ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level= 1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode= 0, Level= 0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
16.2.7 (#010) Linux/Clang
Main thread starts: 172415C0
[0x7fcd172415c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-14 13:54:49,714 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[0x7fcd172415c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-14 13:54:49,714 | Loaded log config from /home/aggam/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/configs/log-conf.xml
[0x7fcd172415c0] | Undefined | INFO | 2020-12-14 13:54:49,714 | --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT IS THIS?
(also thank you for your help)

Try to start clean.

Fully remove

.local/share/DaVinciResolve/

Start Davinci and do the first setup again.

To be clear somehow it crashes for me to when I open it with a terminal. Opening with the shortcut works for me.

If it does not work >>

In .local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/LogArchive/ shout be a ResolveDebug.txt could you provide its output?

Mind that it should have a number so ResolveDebug_1.txt, ResolveDebug_2.txt etc. Provide the debug with the highest number please and please after you opened it with the shortcut.

Edit:
just to be sure.
please install clinfo and provide its output after you run it in a terminal.

opencl-amd is what provides the opencl stuff from amdgpu-pro on top of the regular opensource amdgpu … and probably what you want.

1 Like

I think it is better to see why it is failing and if opencl is active and how. Hence the question for the log and the output of clinfo

Since rocm should work I truly wonder why it is not.

See dependencies list AUR (en) - davinci-resolve
opencl-driver (… rocm-opencl-runtime, …)

edit: Seems amd-opengl works in most cases, still I wonder why rocm did not. If it still does not work please provide the above asked outputs.

thx

I don’t mean to troll but I gotta say this. When I saw this thread I was like “NOOO WE MUST RESOLVE THIS ISSUE WITH DAVINCI RESOLVE” :slight_smile:

I’m sure I’m like the millionth person to make that joke but still I couldn’t help it.

after a full removal and reinstallation resolve crashes after “loading control surface”.

the file “ResolveDebug_C2.txt” : https://pastebin.com/dCeXf0Qg

also, thanks for ur help so far :slight_smile:

This is a bad day for Linux. watch this, this is one of the most terrible news this year for us RX580 users.
Basically you cannot upgrade Manjaro, or if you do, then stick to kernel 5.4 LTS and manually build and install the amd drivers for rocm 3.5, which is the last version gfx803 is supported by rocm. watch this guide
They said 3.6 to 3.10 also support gfx803, bu it is a lie. watch this
So what AMD is saying is that you are forced to buy another card.