Date and time resetting (perhaps to original installation date/time?) after every reboot (Manjaro ARM on Raspberry Pi 4)

Hi, there. This is a technical issue, but also a Manjaro ARM installation; didn't know which forum would be more appropriate, so my apologies if posting here was the wrong choice.

I've wiped my microSD card and reflashed it with the Manjaro ARM Raspberry PI 4 XFCE 19.08 image a few times (haven't found a way to simply reinstall without wiping the microSD), and every time (whether or not I've installed any other packages, aside from doing updates) the time and date revert back to something in September after every reboot. I'll correct the date/time through date -s in Terminal, and that lasts until reboot.

Other than checking simple time, timezone, and NTP settings, I don't even know where to begin looking in regard to addressing this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

The Raspberry PI doesn't have a hardware clock. You can install and enable a "fake-hwclock", which will periodical save the time in a file. The package is called fake-hwclock . This service can restore the last time from the file after a reboot.

But it is better to use a ntp service to restore the time after a reboot. You can check with timedatectl if a ntp service is enabled and used.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-timesyncd

1 Like

In providing arch-arm images for my satellite forum I put this on the desktop so they can change their timezone.

If the clock/date is off you need to set up your timezone
You must be connected to the internet

To list available zones:

#Open up a terminal

timedatectl list-timezones   #Hit the space bar until your timezone 
                             #Zone/SubZone appears
                             #Type q to quit the program

#To change your time zone the format is:
#timedatectl set-timezone Zone/SubZone

#So I would enter:

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

#It may be a little bit before you clock gets right

Manjaro ARM sets the timezone when you complete the first setup.
It also enables NTP, so it should reach out and get the correct time and date as soon as it sees your internet connection.

True, but it seems like it has some manner of keeping track of time when the unit is off that Raspbian can keep track of. The Raspberry Pi is connected to a university network that has a number of network restrictions, one of which being the blocking of anything to do with NTP, so I set the time manually with sudo date -s "$(wget -qSO- --max-redirect=0 google.com 2>&1 | grep Date: | cut -d' ' -f5-8)Z" once, and when running Raspbian, if I shut down the Pi, the unit keeps track of the time as long as power is supplied to the board.

As such, since it looks like Manjaro doesn't seem to make use of that, and since I can't use NTP, fake-hwclock doesn't do the job, since the time lags further and further behind after every reboot (and of course, significantly more so if shut down) since it only saves to a file and then pulls that old time.

The only option that I can see at the moment is using crontab to run that manual time-setting command upon booting, but I've having some issues with it that I haven't encountered before.

It would be good to know why with Raspbian, it keeps track of the time when the unit is off but supplied with power, but Manjaro it doesn't.

As for the time zone situation, I saw a few other posts elsewhere mention making sure that the time zone is set. Originally it wasn't, but it's not like we have time zones spanning weeks, so I don't understand how it would keep resetting to further and further back non-existent time zones in order to put it back to same time back in September every time. Having set the time zone manually made no difference, unsurprisingly.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark