Dash to Dock not working in Gnome 3.36

Hello everyone,

After the gnome 3.36 upgrade lot of extensions stopped working. Many of them are not crucial for me so It does not matter as much. But dash-to-dock does not fall in that category. Out of 6 layouts, 4 of them use this extension. I normally use Manjaro Layout but recently I was forced to change to a layout that was less comfortable for me due to unknown compatibility issues.

From what I understand, after the update, it should work fine as is. Unfortunately, It did not go as smoothly for me. After gnome update, dash-to-dock is completely broken. It does not show any icon, recent application, the search does not tl;dr nothing works.

I tried to fix the issue by compiling the source myself and extracting the zip file to
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com but this did not solve the issue. As dash-to-dock was pre-installed and many other applications depend on it I could not remove the old extension. Most likely, the new extension that I compiled is not being used and I don't know how to change that.

So, this is the current situation. Any suggestion is appreciated.
Note that, this is my main work PC so little less productivity/uncomfortableness adds up real quick :frowning_face:.

Thank you, everyone, for your attention.

Fig 1: Some extension shows a red error beside the extensions. Shown Here :

Fig 2: Dash to dock is blank

Hello,

Please do not mix extensions provided by Manjaro with the same extension provided via the extension gnome site, nor from source. You end up with a broken extension, and quite possibly with a broken system. The error on the site is due to that too ... DTD is working perfectly fine here on stable, testing and unstable branches.
I hope you reboot your system after update.

This was happening before I used my compiled extension. So, is there anyway to reset everything to manjaro default?

you can try to delete /home/name/.config/dconf
/home/name/.local/share/gnome-shell

restart

2 Likes

Thank you, this fixed the issue. Just to clarify here are the steps I followed:

First, went to /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ and renamed dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com to dash-to-dock@micxgx.gmail.com.backup and reinstalled dash-to-dock using pamac. (Incase I updated it by mistake, it should reset it to manjaro provided one).

Then following @VoDo advice, I deleted
~/.config/dconf (This will clear all of your Settings)
~/.local/share/gnome-shell

and RESTARTED the PC

Manjaro team created very good distro, what looks nice, works very good. You touch it by modifying one thing but there are more little programs connected to that one. It very often got broken. You can install gnome boxes then install there manjaro-gnome and play there when you will know what affects what you can make changes to your system, it is what I do. Or install base from architect ISO and build "your own" look and feel. It is not complicated once you understand what is what and playing in VM is safe.

Thank you. I will keep that in mind in the future :slight_smile:.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by