cmake (make)
desktop-file-utils (make)
intltool (make)
libwebp (make)
llvm (make)
python-jsonschema (make)

See https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/darktable/

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/libsecret/

Example, if DarkTable required a new version of this dependency, we need update the other 14 dependencies of that dependency if there are updates. And we'd need to update the 43 other packages that requires libsecret, furthermore, you'd have to look at dependencies of those packages to update those dependencies to new versions as well to make sure everything is compatible. It's not an easy task to do.

Partial upgrades are bad.

Hmm I do get what @realmain is trying to say. And well, yeah, that's understandable.

But in the end, when end-user is concerned it all comes down to this - does it work for you or not?

I cannot say to my clients "you'll have to wait because I'm waiting for my new software between 2 and 4 weeks to be available". They don't care what I do and use. They want the result on time we agreed upon.

Currently, my machine is powered by Win10 that I paid around 10 dollars legally (actually it was a free win8 update) and I pay 9.99$ per month for Adobe photo plan. It includes Photoshop & Lightroom(s) with free cloud storage.
Those do the job nicely and efficiently. I have all rolling updates asap. We can talk how Win/MS sucks all day, but in the end, it gets to job done on time and with very little investment (almost free). It's rock stable and ultra fast on my machine with Adobe being an industry standard.

So yeah, comparing apples and oranges here, but as much as I like being a nerdy one, having totally free stuff without any tracking, ads, tremendously enjoying linux and gnome environment, I'm having a hard time doing stuff here and justifying the no cost to low cost and insured, stable workflow. Slow/delayed updates are just one of the issues and not even the most important ones. I'm still trying and won't give up that easily, but yeah, it's not easy.

That being said, kudos too ALL people that do this for free, for love and sake of having the other, alternative side. <3

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding the situation. It isn't just a matter of pushing apps forward. They are built against specific versions of the libraries that exist. To push them forward without pushing the rest of the ecosystem forward the Manjaro team would have to rebuild those apps specifically to match the versions currently present in stable.

That being said, if you want to try pulling it forward and seeing if it works against the current versions of the libraries in stable you can. Just install it from unstable:

sudo pacman -U https://mirror.alpix.eu/manjaro/unstable/community/x86_64/darktable-2%3A3.0.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

That would basically have the same effect as pushing it forward more rapidly without rebuilding.

2 Likes

Regarding Darktable 3.0...

So far so good.

Will Pamac update it and sort all deps. once 3.0 gets officially released for Manjaro stable?

2 Likes

It will probably be the same package and not need updating but if it does, yes, pamac will update it. Until the version is the same pamac will warn you that the installed package is newer than the repo package.

Make sure you don't have downgrades enabled in pamac.

1 Like

I have tried it and with due respect, I have returned to LR with opened arms. I'm sad but dual boot is here to stay.

Well if that works better for you, then that's great!

I do a lot of photography and personally do not like LR at all. I prefer DarkTable by far, because it works for me.

It's best to use what is best for yourself.

I've got used to darktable and now I have no idea what to do with LR anymore. I still have it installed on my old windows pc but I never use it anymore.

But speaking of DT 3.0 - I have quickly tried it on windows. All good except for retouch tool which is... weird? Maybe it's just windows build or there was some change in the way it works.

Due to Darktable 3.0 release hype, I have wrongfully omitted RT from my radar. Just re-discovered RawTherapee and couldn't be happier. This program is so much more advanced than last time I tried it. It comes WITH 2nd monitor support for file manager. BIG plus for my work.

It's actually a real LR alternative for me, but also much more advanced. But unlike Darktable, RT has a splendid, fully functional UI. Kudos to devs.

I'm happy because there's a way for me to continue doing business in Linux after all.
RawTherapee is a joy to discover and use. <3

1 Like

I had been a LR user since the it's early days. I made the transition from LR to DT last year. It wasn't easy because the learning curve for DT is very steep. It took me 30 days of watching countless tutorials and lots of trial and error to figure it out the basics.

That being said, I think it was worth the investment. DT is ultimately a more powerful tool than LR once you figure out how it works.

3 Likes

I'm on my way to do the same, but with RawTherapee. :slight_smile: Thanks for encouragement though!

Sadly I can no longer trick the new DT 3.0 to use alpha version of lensfun so no more adobe lens profiles for me.

Regarding Darktable 3.0... (part 2)

Still can't open my Panasonic S1H raw files...

You can contribute a RAW file and your camera will be supported. See the links below:

and

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by