State of matter:

• Solid
  • Liquid
  • Gas
  • Plasma

…can anybody see the logic ?

Who’s logic? … :smirk:

…post is edited :innocent:

No, it’s in the last, most matured phase it will ever be.

This one makes even less sense in a rolling distro. If anything, holding packages back will cause breakages.

1 Like

This was all just an example.

I am not here to make demands, only a suggestion.

I am suggesting both, but the non-LTS one a testing one, one that you can switch to if you cannot wait any longer. And the warning message is to inform you that the system is still in testing and not recommended for daily use. I believe the same is true for the unstable and/or Testing branch, so call this plasma-testing, if you want to.

This way, it gives more time for the developers to work on the newer version, while satisfying the yelling users that just want a number.

But, as I said, it is only a suggestion.

:man_shrugging:

And I’m just saying that it makes zero sense. :stuck_out_tongue:

So 3 branches aren’t enough? You’d make few branches for plasma, and then we can make few for gnome and then for 100 other package sets. Good luck.

Not recommended by whom? Still in testing by whom? KDE released it more than 3 months ago, and thousands of users are using it since then.

Which developers? KDE devs don’t care what version any distro is using. And if you think Manjaro is somehow developing it, then you need to wake up.

Bugs get found by early users reporting them, so you are actually hindering devs by not using the latest version. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

To an extent, of course, I agree rolling means rolling means rolling but, hey, there’s no crime in wanting “stability”. I can also understand that Plasma in its latest guise is a final release, hence, afterwards it’s a question of fixes…

There wouldn’t be any holding back packages or any breakage because 5.24 is an LTS release and continues getting updates from upstream, even with 5.25 being in use among distros already.

Yes, true in this case. But I think topic is meant in a general way.

Keep in mind that next LTS release is 5.30 (or whatever the version will be then), so I’d like to see melting faces of people waiting 2 years for new Plasma. :smiley:

Yes, but then, with all due respect, there will always be end users that will always want the latest and greatest even when what they already have is quite “sufficent”. It’s sort of an “itch” in a manner of speaking, perhaps…? :wink:

Let make a meta package for KDE LTS then if this is the goal. In my opinion, a Rolling Release distro rolls. I’m pretty sure at least half of you here already said it to others, so here I am, install Ubuntu if you want a fixed release :nerd_face:

Certainly.

I’ve done so.

I’ve said that before.

I’ve also always recommended an LTS kernel. Just like Plasma 5.24 is LTS.

Exactly what I was talking about.

I tried to keep it general and applicable to everything and -one. But that’s not going to happen, it seems. I specifically mentioned Plasma 5.24 and 5.25 as examples, because that is where we stand.

Just LTS makes sense to keep longer than the standard one. Just like the kernels.

If you go with the logic of it should always be the latest, for example like Arch AFAIK, LTS kernels should also not be supported past the next version.

Manjaro is advocated as a curated rolling release, so what works best first and then the rest.

That’s why I suggested make it a choice. If you want the latest-and-greatest, then by all means go for it. But know it comes with risks and you are on your own. (Exactly like what happened with the, I think it was 4.x kernel versions being discontinued, and then coming back due to popular demand. But with a warning.) While the rest of us can either switch to the new one to test and keep it if we like it, or go back to 5.24 is it doesn’t work for us.

I especially because, AFAIK Plasma is quite a popular D.E. (No, I have no stats to back that up.)

I know Manjaro doesn’t make KDE, Gnome, Xfce, Cinnamon, Mate, or any of the D.E.'s. I was referring to Manjaro’s developers, Implementing KDE for Manjaro.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Manjaro, and I’m sticking to it. It was just a suggestion.

@moderators it seems this topic opened a can of worms, so feel free to close it if you want to. I just don’t know if I should participate any longer as it was never my intention to ruffle feathers, only make a suggestion.

2 Likes

THIS :point_up_2::100:

Well, I can understand that even with a curated rolling release, it could be difficult to draw the line. But yes, in that regard, I myself fully support offering people a choice on whether to adopt the Latest & Greatest™ or whether to stay with something that is being maintained as an LTS.

Two caveats, though…:

1. I am not a Manjaro developer or packager — I am but a lowly, lowly cook moderator. :stuck_out_tongue:
  2. I don’t know whether something like what you suggest — and what I am in support of — would be feasible for the Manjaro developers/packagers. So we could just be chasing unicorns here… :thinking:
4 Likes

Hehe, well cooks keep the people fed, which is important.

I know you’re not a developer, and neither am I.

Myself also not. However, it is an LTS, so logic would say the it should be fine. Or doable.

However, if this is not the case, I’d feel better of facts and reasons are given, not insults to my reasoning.

2 Likes

“Install Ubuntu if you want a fixed release”…how…dismissive! :-1:

1 Like

Or, a five-legged mouton… :wink: But a life without a dream or two isn’t life is it…? :smirk:

1 Like

I use Manjaro unstable repositories so I’ve been using 5.25 for awhile now and so far it has been rather stable and usable for me but I also don’t have much of any user-generated themes and such (the typical things that cause issues). Perhaps Manjaro could go from having have two branches of KDE, to having three, something like this: kde-unstable, kde-LTS, kde-current
(but I don’t know if they have the staff/volunteers to support all of this?)

Anyway, I think a simple warning/suggestion is all that would needed, so something like this:

warning: KDE/Plasma 5.25 is now available.
Would you like to upgrade or remain on the LTS version. 
Please be aware that upon upgrade some breakage of user-generated customizations may occur.

Would you like to upgrade Y/N
3 Likes

Great guys. You provided notification message. Now provide all the other work necessary to maintain all the packages, branches, etc. :smiley:

1 Like