Custom Manjaro-themed Plasma splashscreen

Hi,

I recently tried changing my wallpaper to something different than the default (although pretty) wallpaper. I was easily able to set the lock screen and login screen backgrounds from the settings app with no commands required, until I had to change the splash screen.

I tried editing the default Breath Dark splash screen, but there doesn’t seem to be an option to change the image. The only other option is to “Get New Splash Screens”, but even then there’s no simple way to choose my own image.

Is there some simple way of doing this that I am missing?

Hello,

Do that and then you can modify the image in the ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/Your_Theme/contents/previews, or something like that, via File Manager …

You can replace /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.manjaro.{desired breath theme}.desktop/contents/splash/images/background.png. Note that you will need to blur it yourself, as the image comes pre-blurred instead of having a filter from the splash. Also, you will need sudo access as the directory is protected, and this change will affect all users of the computer.

Edit: There is a more proper way to do this, as the contents of /usr/ are ideally left unedited.

1. Copy the contents of /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.manjaro.{desired breath theme}.desktop/contents/splash into ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/CustomBreathSplash/contents/splash/
  2. In ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/CustomBreathSplash/ create the file metadata.desktop with the below contents:
metadata.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Custom Breath Splash
Encoding=UTF-8
Keywords=Desktop;Workspace;Appearance;Look and Feel;Logout;Lock;Suspend;Shutdown;Hibernate;
Name=CustomBreathSplash
Type=Service

X-KDE-ServiceTypes=Plasma/LookAndFeel
X-KDE-ParentApp=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Author=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Category=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Email=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-License=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name=CustomBreathSplash
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=
X-KDE-PluginInfo-Website=
X-Plasma-MainScript=defaults
  1. Replace ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/CustomBreathSplash/contents/splash/images/background.png with the image of your choice. Make sure to apply a blur using an image editor.

2. (Optional) Add the file ~/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/CustomBreathSplash/contents/previews/splash.png using a screenshot of your splash in action, downscaled to something around 1000x500.

3. Select “Custom Breath Splash” as your splash screen in KDE system settings.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.