Custom Kernels not booting (TKG, Zen)

Hello, I’ve been trying to speed up my computer by compiling the TKG-PDS kernel. I have been using the stock kernel for some time, and want to try something new for educational and performance purposes. TKG-PDS does not boot. I try compiling TKG-BMQ, generic TKG-PDS(AUR), and pre-compiled Zen(Chaotic AUR) with the kernel headers as well. None of them boot. They all get stuck on the Manjaro loading screen(pre-login, right after selecting kernel in advanced settings). I’m on Nvidia and don’t know if it could be a driver issue, or how to install them for the custom kernels, as drivers are fine on stock, and I’ve not encountered this issue before.

Any ideas on how I could get them to boot(preferably TKG-PDS), or is it just a Manjaro thing, and if I want that, should I be looking towards Arch?

First thing - only use custom kernels when using Manjaro unstable branch - as this ensures the package level is matching Arch proper.

sudo pacman-mirrors -aS unstable && sudo pacman -Syyu

If you get stuck on plymouth - first step would be to remove plymouth - and the splash configuration in mkinitcpio.conf and /etc/default/grub.

In the default grub - you can add kernel arguments

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nowatchdog mitigations=off ... "

Then rebuild init and grub config.

If you are using nvidia gpu - use nvidia-dkms - instead of the precompiled nvidia in Manjaro repo or switch the gpu to AMD.

If you are seeking a kernel optimized for your system - change CFLAGS flags in ~/.makepkg.conf.

If you don’t have that file copy from etc

cp /etc/makepkg.conf ~/.makepkg.conf

First step would be to target your cpu specifically
-march=

[...]
CFLAGS="-marc=native ... "
[...]

in my case it is a ryzen so I use
-mtune=

[...]
CFLAGS=" ... mtune=znver3 ...."
[...]