Cannot restart Syncthing

I was able to run Syncthing on my main laptop that has manjaro to back up my files on to the home server. I have Syncthing installed inside Casa OS on the server. After running updates and restarting my laptop (manjaro) I am not able to restart the Syncthing service.
Any help is appreciated.
I used the below commands with no results.

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable syncthing@user
sudo systemctl start syncthing@user

From reading this:

Syncthing - ArchWiki

it appears that the service is started / enabled with:
systemctl start syncthing.service
systemctl enable syncthing.service
system wide - or with the additional --user flag on a per user basis

… different syntax
… no sudo needed

What where the responses to the commands you said you used?
What was the result of:
systemctl status syncthing.service
before and after?

cave:
I don’t use it, I don’t know it - these are only my guesses after reading the Arch Wiki

systemctl status syncthing.service  :heavy_check_mark:
Unit syncthing.service could not be found.

when I run:
sudo pacman -S syncthing  :heavy_check_mark:
[sudo] password for user-pc:
warning: syncthing-1.27.2-1 is up to date – reinstalling
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) syncthing-1.27.2-1

Total Installed Size: 24.24 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n}

I am using syncthing to distribute code updates to a server.

syncthing client should never be run as a system service - security - everyone will have access to the configuration and folders shared.

syncthing runs as a user service (no elevated permissions required)

systemctl stop --user syncthing
systemctl start --user syncthing
systemctl status --user syncthing

I have syncthing running here, quite perfectly;

$ systemctl status --user syncthing.service
â—Ź syncthing.service - Syncthing - Open Source Continuous File Synchronization
Loaded: loaded (/home/mirdarthos/.config/systemd/user/syncthing.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2024-02-07 17:12:39 SAST; 2 days ago
Docs: man:syncthing(1)
Main PID: 853 (syncthing)
Tasks: 26 (limit: 19075)
Memory: 75.5M (peak: 96.0M zswap: 740.2K)
CPU: 35.917s
CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/app.slice/syncthing.service
├─853 /usr/bin/syncthing serve --no-browser --no-restart --logflags=0
└─872 /usr/bin/syncthing serve --no-browser --no-restart --logflags=0

Feb 10 09:19:09 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Connection from <XXXXX-XXXXX*XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX> at 10.0.0.206:22000 (tcp-server) rejected: already connected to this device
Feb 10 09:20:09 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Connection from <XXXXX-XXXXX*XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX> at 10.0.0.206:22000 (tcp-server) rejected: already connected to this device
Feb 10 09:21:09 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Connection from <XXXXX-XXXXX*XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX> at 10.0.0.206:22000 (tcp-server) rejected: already connected to this device
Feb 10 09:21:23 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Lost primary connection to ZHCDBOI at 10.0.0.20:22000-10.0.0.100:22000/tcp-client/TLS1.3-TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256/LAN-P10-5TIDRTF07MNGUJFI4070MN2R6S: read timeout (0 remain)
Feb 10 09:21:23 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Connection to ZHCDBOI at 10.0.0.20:22000-10.0.0.100:22000/tcp-client/TLS1.3-TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256/LAN-P10-5TIDRTF07MNGUJFI4070MN2R6S closed: read timeout
Feb 10 09:21:24 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Established secure connection to ZHCDBOI at 10.0.0.20:22000-10.0.0.206:22000/tcp-client/TLS1.3-TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256/LAN-P10-5TIDTI23BN8QMAH7NI4S4HTE2O
Feb 10 09:21:24 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Device ZHCDBOI client is "syncthing v1.27.3" named "Mirdarthos Tablet" at 10.0.0.20:22000-10.0.0.206:22000/tcp-client/TLS1.3-TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256/LAN-P10-5TIDTI23BN8QMAH7NI4S4HTE2O
Feb 10 09:21:25 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Ignoring folder "Blaffe Pictures" (49dsa-6u3ug) from device <XXXXX-XXXXX*XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX> since we are configured to
Feb 10 09:21:25 Mirdarthos-PC syncthing[853]: [VVBCU] INFO: Ignoring folder "Parrakie" (8hwsm-z37c6) from device <XXXXX-XXXXX*XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX> since we are configured to

Please provide the output of:

systemctl status --user syncthing.service

And

journalctl --no-pager --unit=syncthing.service

Where:

• --no-pager formats the output nicely for use here, on the forum; and
  • --unit=syncthing.service limits the messages to be only from the syncthing unit.

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

Edit:

In case someone finds this thread and finds this useful:

I use it to monitor both my PC’s syncthing instance, as well as my Rasberry Pi’s. I no longer have to open a browser-window specifically for it, there is now a nice icon in my Notification area:

https://i.imgur.com/1aYUSZk.png

1 Like

This is excellent! Very polished and useful.

1 Like

Thanks linus-aarhus,
These commands worked.

How to install Syncthingtray ?
Please share any info.

It’s in the AUR:

$ pamac search syncthingtray
[...]
syncthingtray  1.4.12-1 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                                       AUR
Tray application for Syncthing

So it’s easy to install with:

pamac build syncthingtray

Note: I can’t help you with the setup as I can’t remember exactly what to do, but I believe you’ll find all the information on the github page I linked to earlier:

Thanks,
"pamac build syncthingtray’’
worked and all looks good !

1 Like