Ctrl keys not working properly

After the latest update, my Ctrl keys rarely work. They probably only work only 20% of the time.

So hotkeys like Ctrl+X (cut), Ctrl+C (copy), Ctrl+V (paste), Ctrl+A (select all), Ctrl+N (new window), Ctrl+T (new tab), and other Ctrl hotkeys i have in different applications rarely work.

To add, as most keyboard, my laptop’s keyboard have two Ctrl keys - one on the left and one on the right. I rarely use the on in the right but the one doesnt work as well. So I think it’s not a hardware issue.

Thoughts on how to debug this?

I don’t doubt you have an issue but it is highly unusual if an update should have caused it - the chance an update would cause such a thing is highly theoretic - but could be an unusual combination of hardware and software. If it were a general regression I think we would have been flooded with topics on the matter :slight_smile:

The control keys default to work the same way - but can be set up independently.

The only real idea to debug it would be attaching an external keyboard - then test the keys again?

Another thing to check is the type of keyboard registered in xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf - but I have yet to see that being changed by an update.

Also verify your settings in the XFCE Settings Manager → Keyboard

A last straw → maybe change it to something else save and set it back.

Thank you for response and suggestions!

I just woke up. And after i opened my laptop from hibernate, everything started working again :sweat_smile:

im hoping it’s not a fluke :smiley: …otherwise, it might be an overheat problem :sweat_smile:

I have a similar problem: I can’t get Ctrl-C (copy), Ctrl-X (cut) or Ctrl-V (paste) to work.

As I have tried this on three different keyboards, this is clearly not due to a faulty keyboard.

I have also rebooted and run my computer with a Debian Linux root partition and still have the same problem.

So, it seems to me that the problem lies with the Central Processing Unit (CPU) or somewhere else on the motherboard. (If that is the case, I should be able to get this computer fixed or replaced under warranty.)

I have already searched for a solution with the following two sets of search terms:

linux how to diagnose keyboard problems

and

linux how to log input from keyboard

… and not had any luck.

Could anyone here tell me how I could diagnose this problem?

I have now created a separate topic for this problem at How to diagnose failure of Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X ... (copy, paste, cut, ...) key combinations