Creating a bootable Usb

Hi all,

I’m asking this for educational purposes, lol hopefully I won’t need it now I’m on manjaro. I looked this up on google, as far as I can remember I read somewhere that to make a bootable USB with cat is faster than with the dd command. But I’ve only been able to get it to work with the dd command. The syntax of the dd command I use is dd bs=4M if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sda status=progress oflag=sync

When I was on Arch the Arch wiki said “cat path/to/archlinux.iso > /dev/sdx” I didn’t know how to write the cat command with sudo someone on the Arch forum told me to write it with the tee command like so cat path/to/manjaro.iso | sudo tee /dev/sda When I ran the cat command piped to the tee command and pressed enter into looked messed up. I don’t know how to describe it, the terminal seemed to be going crazy like the matrix writing or symbols continuously going down the terminal screen.

Is that normal?

Is the cat command for creating a bootable USB faster and what is the correct syntax for the command?

Please search the forum or the internet - this question has been asked and answered numerous times.

Nothing is faster - it all depends on your system and the stick.