Create a live USB with Windows 10 or 11 on Manjaro Linux

`
How can I create a Live USB with Microsoft Windows 10 or 11 on Manjaro-Linux ?

I tried these exact steps:

• Download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft official server
  • sudo dd if=/ dev /zero of= / dev / sdb bs=500M conv=sync status=progess
    USB is now competely zero’d
  • sudo mk dir /mnt/iso
  • sudo mount udf windows.iso /mnt/iso
    Now I can get access to the windows files
  • Use Partition Manager to create a MSDOS on USB with NTFS file system and boot flag
  • transfer files from Windows ISO file to USB…

The USB cannot be FAT32 because it will not accept files bigger than 4GB…

Doesn’t boot the USB… Why ? It is the same process on a different Linux and has worked for me in the past.
`

I would like to suggest Ventoy for the sake of convenience. You can just copy the bootable images (iso, efi, …) to the drive and boot selectively using the menu. Been using it couple of years, and its a pretty nice solution.

2 Likes

I thought Ventoy was malware…

You thought wrong.

Of course, depending upon where you acquire a package, any software could be considered malware. Always download from the original site, or one that is trusted; that’s a simple strategy to follow to avoid malware.

On topic:-

Balena Etcher is a valid tool for your needs; and is available for major platforms.

Note:- The AUR version seems to be broken currently.

PS: Ventoy is still a great choice. You only need to write Ventoy to the USB once (unless you want to update it). Then place whichever ISOs you wish to boot from in the respective folder.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

1 Like

I just tried it and it does load the Windows ISO but it will not.install windows because it says it can’t find the drivers. All of the stores are closed… Can’t buy any blank DVDs.

Could you expand on that by a factor of 10?

Please explain exactly what you’re trying to do, and how you’re attempting to do it.

I tried both Balena / Belana Etcher program and the USB does not boot… I tried with that vanoy program and the windiws installer will not detect the drivers to.install windows…

This makes no obvious sense. If the Windows ISO boots, you just need to follow the prompts to install it. If you find an error during Windows installation, that is certainly not a Manjaro issue.

May I suggest Microsoft may be a better forum to seek information.

Here are two possible procedures found with a simple Google search. I hope these are useful, however, these guides are neither recommended nor endorsed. Good luck.

Ventoy is open-source (GPL3) and can be flagged incorrectly as malware in Windows

[issue]: ventoy-1.0.81-windows.zip flagged as Trojan.Malware.300983.susgen · Issue #1950 · ventoy/Ventoy · GitHub
Every release since 1.0.00 will get false positive report, I can’t do anything.
Ventoy is 100% open source.

Windows Secure Boot gatekeeper must be turned off

Balena-etcher is not a good choice for avoiding malware

Option in settings to disable ad tracking (Revived) · Issue #2914 · balena-io/etcher · GitHub

Telemtery should be opt-in · Issue #3784 · balena-io/etcher · GitHub

Would you like to add Windows itself to that list?

1 Like

You could also search the forum - for many years a guide has been provided on the subject

2 Likes