Crash while updating, pc boots but half functionnal

Hi!

Yesterday my pc crashed during a pacman update. When rebooting my kernel and initramfs file in /boot were gone.

I used an arch linux live usb and arch-chroot to try reinstalling the kernel. (I didn’t have a live usb of manjaro available) Reinstalling the same kernel (5.4) didn’t work, so I installed 5.9 instead.

Using the grub shell allowed me to boot, but the kde interface and internet access are unavailable. Windows still work and some programs do as well. (konsole,dolphin,chromium)

Kde seems broken and so is the internet access, but another issue is that pacman seems broken as well. Updating the 5.9 kernel spams:
“(file) is empty, not checked”
Trying to update 5.4 fails and spams
“(file) exists in filesystem”
“errors occured, no packages updated”

It seems I’ve screwed up my system, I do wonder what’s going on. Sorry for not including more error messages, Im typing this from a phone (I’d like to link to screenshots but the forum doesnt let me)

Thanks for reading.

Disclaimer: grub has been broken on my pc for a month, but I can still boot using the grub shell.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

What you did wrong was that you used an Arch live USB to repair Manjaro instead of a Manjaro live USB. Arch does not use the same set of mirrors as Manjaro does, and Arch Stable corresponds to Manjaro Unstable. The Manjaro kernels are also configured differently, and if they need to load proprietary drivers at boot time, then that too will cause conflicts because of the differences between Arch and Manjaro.

In addition to the above, it seems to primarily happen to newbies that their computer crashes in the middle of an update, and that’s because newbies do not have the patience to wait for the update process to finish. Some package takes longer to install than what they expect, and then they think the machine is hanging and they hit the reset button. Bad practice, because the kernels and initcpios are only installed at the end of the update process.

Always let the update finish, no matter how long it takes. The most recent update didn’t take all too long on my system, but I’ve already had updates that took up over an hour, and if you have to update any packages from the AUR, then it could take even longer than that, because most of them need to be compiled from source code.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the help.

I was afraid that not using the live manjaro would cause issues, but as you noted my lack of patience prevented me from waiting a few days to get access to someone else’s computer to make myself a live manjaro usb.

My computer seemed pretty unresponsive during the update, but maybe I should’ve waited longer like you suggested.

I’ll try to get a live manjaro usb and report back. It’s worth a try.

The update process is very I/O-intensive and CPU-intensive, and so it may appear at times that the system has locked up, but this is because the GUI has a lower execution priority than the I/O process at that particular moment.

I always advise people to update the system by completely logging out of the GUI and updating from within a character-mode virtual console.

In systems with KDE Plasma, you switch to a character-mode virtual console ─ which we also commonly refer to here at the forum as a tty ─ by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2. You then log in and you run… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -Syyu

After the update has completed, you then reboot the system via… :arrow_down:

sudo systemctl reboot
1 Like

Update:
I managed to download a manjaro iso without a second pc by using a command line web browser, but all the issues I was having persisted. I guess the damages I’ve done to my system are trickier to fix than that.

I backed up my former system and reinstalled manjaro. At least I now know the likely cause of my supposed “crash”, so that I can avoid this happening again.

Thanks for the assistance.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.