Crash at the end of update has messed up kernel. Any ideas?

BTW, no, I can’t scroll up in TTY. Using the arrows or Page Up just inserts my previous prompt.

You have to hold the Shift key down for being able to scroll up in ttys.

Note: This might not work anymore in recent kernels, as there was talk on the kernel mailing list about removing this feature from the kernel’s built-in virtual console.

1 Like

It’s working for PageUp but not Up arrow.

Yes, that is how it’s supposed to be. :wink:

1 Like

Okay. I’ve now tried to install kdeclarative5 and knewstuff5, both of which were giving me error messages. And now I get “no packages were upgraded”.

Before proceeding with installation I get the following:
warning: knewstuff5-5.111.0-1 is up to date – reinstalling
resolving dependences…
error: could not open file /var/lib/pacman/local/cuda-12.2.2-1/desc: No such file or directory looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) knewstuff5-5.111.0-1

Total Installed Size: 5.84 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

I cant figure out what’s going on. Is it that I have a corrupted install? Bear in mind that this whole issue arose out of an incomplete upgrade, after the computer crashed before completing.

Anybody? I’ve been around the block with this and still ain’t getting anywhere. This cuda error leads me to believe its an NVIDIA issue - it usually is :cry:
I’ll check back in tomorrow because my eyes are like p*ss holes in snow now and my brain is fried…

Do each of these commands;

Mirrors and updates to start:

sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syu

Remove nvidia for now:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia

Reinstall open drivers:

sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-linux

Use mapare to (re)install all packages on an original install:

bash <(curl -s https://gitlab.com/cscs/mapare/-/raw/main/mapare) -IAR

(it will prompt you to enter your desktop - kde in this case)

Thanks cscs, I tried all that, and it all ran without any errors. However, when I rebooted, I was back to this again:

The current theme cannot be loaded due to the errors below, please select another theme.

file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath/Main.qml:26:1: plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.core”: Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/core/libcorebindingsplugin.so: (/usr/lib/libKF5QuickAddons.so.5: file too short)

Back to square one. :frowning:

Okay, here’s a thing…
When I sudo pacman -S kdeclarative5 (or knewstuff5), I get the password prompt, it tells me the size of the package to be installed and when I hit ‘Y’ it runs through the whole installation. Scrolling back up, I can see:

kdeclarative5: /usr/lib/qt/mkspecs/modules/qt_QuickAddons.pri exists infilesystem

and then the list goes through every line of installation to

localekdeclarative5: /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/kdeclarative5.mo exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded

And then when I check with sudo pacman Qi it does indeed tell me that it’s not installed.
How do I install it if it thinks it’s already there but isn’t?
AAARGH! Tearing my hair out!

would have been helpful if you noticed that sooner.

Again, in man pacman you can see an option called --overwrite, it will tell pacman to just ignore that it is there already. Ideally you would tell the paths to the files to overwrite. But just to make it easy, and since people usually do errors in globbing here, just use the big gun --overwrite ‘*’ which means ALL FILES

previously it was easier to use the option most programs use in situations like this --force. But pacman decided it was too easy and removed the option and made it slightly harder to use.

Ah, thanks varikonniemi, yes, I’d seen that and tried:

sudo pacman S --overwrite kdeclarative5

but I was clearly just making an amateur guess at the correct syntax, as the response I got was:

-bash: glob: No such file or directory

I’ll try again with your suggestion.

Okay, thanks that knocked those two errors out, and now it’s starting up with a new one. I’m guessing there might be quite a few to overwrite. Is there a way to show all errors in a list instead of going through a reboot and check with each one?

Except this time the error is:

> The current theme cannot be loaded due to the errors below, please select another theme.
file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/breath/Main.qml:26:1: plugin cannot be loaded for module “org.kde.plasma.core”: Cannot load library /usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/core/libcorebindingsplugin.so: (/usr/lib/libKF5Package.so.5: file too short)

And when I pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libKF5Package.so.5 I get "error: No package owns /usr/lib/libKF5Package.so.5

So, upon attempting to overwrite anyway, I’m informed it’s not a package but a file. I consulted the manual and tried Fyy, which didn’t work. Any further advice on how to overwrite a file will be greatly received.

I tried with -Fy, and the package that owns the file is kpackage5.

$ sudo pacman -Fy libKF5Package.so.5                                                                                                                  
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra                                                                    40.6 MiB  6.00 MiB/s 00:07 [###########################################################] 100%
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
extra/kpackage5 5.111.0-1 (kf5)
    usr/lib/libKF5Package.so.5

Thanks dmt, well that really worked - for that error…

Now, this is a new one on me. Upon reboot, I get a couple of second of the, out of focus, boot splash screen loading, and then it goes to completely black but with a cursor!

The quest continues!

Good luck. You might want to remove the boot splash, it may give you more information about what’s going on.

Clearly I forgot to check for .pacnew files on this computer. Fixed that one at least, I’ll do the rest later.

Cheers, I’ve been searching but can’t figure out how to remove the splash screen.
It’s really weird that the mouse cursor is still active!

Remove “splash” from the CMDLINE in /etc/default/grub then run sudo update-grub.

However I missed the part about the cursor, which means you’ve gotten to the login screen, so it probably won’t help.

Sounds like your install is pretty messed up, presumably some more files have been corrupted, it may be better to re-install (certainly quicker).

Or you could try to re-install all packages, but it’ll take a while and may not fix everything.

pacman -Qqn | sudo pacman -S -
1 Like

My opinion is that your installation is clearly broken. Reinstalling Manjaro will likely be the fastest resolution to these ongoing issues.

A few questions:

• Is your /home installed to a separate partition?
  • Are you confident is using the manual partitioning method to install Manjaro?
  • If /home is not on a separate partition, are your current personal files disposable (or can they be easily copied to a USB or similar)?
1 Like

Thanks both,
I fear you’re right. It’s never been this broken before. I think I have to bite the bullet and do a complete reinstall.
I don’t have home on a separate partition but I’m thinking that I can perhaps boot from a live USB and then copy all the files and documents, I don’t want to risk losing, onto an external drive.
Does that sound plausible?