CPU usage climbs for Xorg and libsyspanel when "extending" status tray plugin in panel

Hi! I am trying to learn linux, xfce and all that this entails in general, and more specifically trying to keep an eye on cpu and memory usage as my laptop is not the newest.
I noticed that when I “extend” the Status Tray Plugin (by clicking the little arrow next to the icons) in the xfce panel, the CPU usage for two processes skyrocket, seemingly without stopping, until I “close” the tray again. Then they go back to low CPU usage (<1%).

Please see the htop screenshot attached. As you can see, the two processes /usr/lib/Xorg and /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 (I don’t know how to see the full path/command, as you can see it cuts off at the edge of the screen…) are very high in CPU usage.

The RAM usage of the processes does not seem to change this dramatically, if at all.

Any clues as to what causes this? The icons I display in the system tray are Mullvad VPN app, pCloud, wifi, and bluetooth. I don’t know what else you need to help me troubleshoot but I will also attach neofetch output in a reply.

Thanks in advance!

Neofetch output:
Host: 20287 Lenovo IdeaPad Z510
Kernel: 5.15.60-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 49 mins
Packages: 1245 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1366x768
DE: Xfce 4.16
WM: Xfwm4
WM Theme: Matcha-dark-aliz
Theme: Adwaita-dark [GTK2/3]
Icons: ePapirus-Dark [GTK2/3]
Terminal: xfce4-terminal
Terminal Font: Monospace 12
CPU: Intel i7-4702MQ (8) @ 3.200GHz
GPU: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M
Memory: 1775MiB / 7859MiB

Sounds like the update interval of the status is very low.

That sounds like a start! Do you know how I can change it? The documentation (xfce:xfce4-panel:systray [Xfce Docs]) does not cover this.