Convert MBR to GPT

Is there any way to convert an MBR disk to GPT without losing data?

1 Like

I don’t think this is possible - the underlying partition tables are incompatible.

Not done myself (although I want to try), but it seems that it is possible: https://superuser.com/questions/1250895/converting-between-gpt-and-mbr-hard-drive-without-losing-data

When you launch gdisk targeting a MBR disk you are greeted with this warning

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format.
THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! Exit by typing 'q' if
you don't want to convert your MBR partitions to GPT format!

Please note the THIS OPERATION IS POTENTIALLY DESTRUCTIVE! sentence.

Prepare yourself by backing up your data.

While I have used gdisk to convert MBR to GPT - it has always resulted in dataloss - there is absolutely no way to warrant this action won’t destroy your data.

gdisk creator has an article about this: Converting to or from GPT

Normally it should work. But in certain cases can be problems.

I know - the developer is very, very good at what he does - but the fact the developer issues the warning when launching gdisk on a MBR disk - should be enough evidence how wrong it can go.

:warning:

So before doing any thing - ensure you have a backup image of the disk - eg. using clonezilla.

Another thing to consider - the level of expertise from the member asking the question - messing with partition tables without proper precautions is a recipe for disaster.

Yes, of course. I wouldn’t do it in a disk with important data to me without a backup.

Just became aware of this topic: yes it can be done with gdisk. I’ve done it on 3 system disks in 3 different machines.

Partition table backups should suffice in case anything goes wrong, see arch wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fdisk#Backup_and_restore_partition_table
If one wants to be extra careful, a full backup of all data should put one*s mind at ease.

If you use BIOS legacy, it is not compatible with GPT.

I actually already managed to do this.