Continuous stream of button events

Since the major update last week, moving the mouse into a window causes a continuous stream of ButtonPress and ButtonRelease events to be generated. The output as captured by xev is:

ButtonPress event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,
    root 0x1c1, subw 0x0, time 2753415, (294,902), root:(1258,924),
    state 0x0, button 6, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 34, synthetic NO, window 0x3400001,
    root 0x1c1, subw 0x0, time 2753415, (294,902), root:(1258,924),
    state 0x0, button 6, same_screen YES

This is causing all kinds of problems as different applications interpret the events as real events and initiate their specified callbacks.

This happens under both the i3wm and the Cinnamon desktop and with different computer mice. This was not a problem before the update.

1 Like

And different ports??? Because this sure smells like a hardware problem.

If yes, have you also tested different brands of mice? If no, please do so we can narrow it down more…
If yes, did you try creating a new user and logging in there and see if the problem persists? (E.G. young2)

:thinking:

Yes, it was that simple. The usb port I was plugging the mouse into, seems to have gone bad on me. Plugging the mouse into a different port solved the problem. Probably should have thought of that sooner, but I tend to think all problems are software related…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.