Constant high CPU with latest Vivaldi


I recently updated Vivaldi to 3.6.2165.40 (stable, 64-bit, fully-updated Manjaro, kernel 5.4 LTS, nvidia drivers) and I’m getting a strange problem: Vivaldi seems to be maxing out one CPU core, and causing the fan to run, almost constantly. I’ve never seen Vivaldi do this in the past (I’ve been running V since day-1).

In Vivaldi’s Task Manager the “Browser” entry is showing > 100.0 CPU usage almost constantly – no other entries are even close to that (most are 0.0 most of the time).

In KDE’s System Monitor (set to “all processes, tree”) only the main parent/root Vivaldi process is showing any significant CPU usage.

In addition to this, when I close Vivaldi it doesn’t exit (and the CPU usage remains high). The Vivaldi window closes like it’s shutting down and many sub-processes become zombies but the main process and a few others continue running. killall vivaldi-bin needs to be run 2X or 3X to get them all to exit.

Aside from this everything appears to be working perfectly.

I’ve been poking and prodding, searching and trying different things (rebooting, tweaking settings), and I created a thread on on Vivaldi forum, but no solution so far. I tried running Vivaldi from the command line but I did not see any output that seems related. I also tried running with a fresh/empty profile (no extensions, changed settings, or open tabs) but same.

I have ~14 tabs open but all are hibernated (except the one I’m writing in). All the same tabs were open in the previous Vivaldi version before I updated. And, as noted above, none of these (nor any extensions) are showing any significant CPU usage in the Task Manager. Hence, I don’t think the issue is related to any of these things.

I’m not sure what to try next and I’d really appreciate some help.

I’m using the Manjaro packages community/vivaldi and community/vivaldi-ffmpeg-codecs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to figure out what’s going on?



PS: Vivaldi’s option to keep it running in the BG after exit is disabled and sync says it has completed and is idle.

I think the issue is solved.

Although I had already tried reinstalling it (which didn’t help), I decided to try completely uninstalling it (along with the ffmpeg and widevine packages) and then cleaning away any lingering reference to it (other than my profile directory), and then reinstalled it, and that seems to have fixed it. I have no idea why that worked, but it did, so, great! :slight_smile:



PS: Although I just posted here today, I’ve been pursuing this for a few days.

I’ve marked it for you if you don’t mind :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.